I don't have a TITLE only a Name

pj123 13:33 27 Apr 03

Why do companies who need a form filling in before you can download anything from their site insist on a Mandatory Field called "Title"

Like I said I don't have a title, only a name.

This gives me two options: 1. don't download or 2. put something in the title field. I ususally put "Sir" or "Lord". Why is it needed?

I have just downloaded a file from Serif who required a Title. What they didn't require was a Christian Name only a Surname, but the email they sent to me with the "Unlock Key" was addressed to "Dear Peter"!!! How did they know????

Any comments?

Pete

AndySD 13:38 27 Apr 03

My title is Mr as fot the first name your address may give it away or even your email address. Peter @ etc . com

watchful 13:44 27 Apr 03

Your title is Mr. Mrs. Miss or Mz. depending on what you are.
Sir is just a polite form of address for a man as well as an honorary title.

-pops- 13:54 27 Apr 03

There are other irrelevances like "age" and "position". What? Why?

There is a story about J Arthur Rank (the real one, not the euphemism) who, when filling in forms always entered "Lord" in the title (as, indeed he was) and "enviable" for his position.

I have a title. It is doctor. That is a real one, not one of the £5 jobbies bought off the net. It has seldom been of any use save for getting hotel rooms in so-called "full" hotels, getting tables in restaurants and seats in theatres. Oh, and getting connected quickly on transferred charge telephone calls.

Dr Brian

watchful 13:58 27 Apr 03

Lucky you! Think I'll start putting a Dr. before my name.

I agree about 'age' and 'position'. Completely irrelevant.

-pops- 14:01 27 Apr 03

I don't think I'll be using it here on a regular basis. Not many places where it could be of less relevance.

Brian

Mango Grummit 14:04 27 Apr 03

Think it's time to call it a day. Threads are getting oddder & odder.

Bye.

AndySD 14:04 27 Apr 03

Been filling in Position as Managing Director for 5-6 years now.....whishfull thinking.... but why do they need a salery???

pj123 14:05 27 Apr 03

Serif did offer Dr but I thought I'd better not as that might be fraud?

-pops- 14:05 27 Apr 03

Regarding pj123's question "How did they know". I think that it was chance. If you were asked for an initial, the two most popular male names beginning with "P" are Peter and Paul. I believe that Peter is the more usual.

flecc 14:15 27 Apr 03

Serif might have dumped a cookie when you connected which fed back personal info from your computer.

Many suppliers use cookies that can even track users across different web sites and through their emails, and these cookies are commonly loaded via the images of products that you receive in your browser/email program.

A program that I use which extracts the causes from inputted advertising emails dumped 19 extracted items from three suppliers yesterday alone. I don't worry about these though, and don't use that program for this purpose, it's just a by product of it's real function, removing malicious code.

If you're interested, the product is Benign, from:-

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…