I do not have a usb port on my hard drive HELP!

smig1690 16:47 01 Mar 06

I have recently inherited a computer and I have set myself up for broadband, when I went to connect it last night i do not have a USB port on the back of my hard drive to connect to.

It is an older computer but has windows 2000 and lots of software connected to it, so there is no need to by a new one.

But can I buy a device that will allow me to connect my hard drive to a USB connection, so as I can use my broad band internet?

gudgulf 16:57 01 Mar 06

Do you mean there are no USB ports on the back of the computer?

If so you need a pci USB adapter card such as click here

The only type of hard drive that will have USB connectors is an external hard drive.

Diodorus Siculus 16:58 01 Mar 06

Your terminology is a little mixed up but I think that you mean that you don't have a usb port on the back of the PC.

You can get a PCI USB card to add in - USB Upgrade Card List
click here

Like this, for example.

Diodorus Siculus 17:00 01 Mar 06

Novatech USB2 PCI Controller Card 4 Port 98SE 2000 ME & XP : nov-usb4po
click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 17:02 01 Mar 06

You usually connect USB cables to a USB port either on the back or the front of your case. I presume you have a modem that needs to be connected via USB. There are cards that can be put in a vacant slot inside the case, however as you do not appear to have any ports present it may be wise to see if the computer will be able to support a card before obtaining one. If you describe your computer a bit on here I am sure somebody will be able to tell you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant