I changed IP Adress but internet goes Limited Acti

Me&U22 20:43 14 Nov 09

im trying to chnage the ip address whence i do that through out netowrk and sharing the fowlling is that what i done but "NO LUCK" PLEASE HELP.

Network and sharing, view status, double click on internet protecol version 4 (tcp/ipv4) and then i click on the Use the following ip address: for example i inset 123.123.123.123 etc and then the subnet mas automatically fill the feilds. and then i click on ok.

WHENCE I CLICK OK THEN EVERY THINK SET UP BUT MY CONNECTION GOES TO LIMITED ACTIVITIES. so this means i can not access to internet.

in order for me to access to internet i have to rechange the ip address to automatic.

please help how do i change the ip address without limited activity?

By the way im currently with virgin media broadband provider

any advice is appreciated

mgmcc 23:01 14 Nov 09

Virgin will allocate your "internet" IP address automatically. If your computer connects directly to Virgin via a Modem (Cable or ADSL), it will get this address.

If you use a Router, the Router will get the address allocated by Virgin automatically. It [the Router] will then allocate LAN IP addresses to any computers connected to it, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, most commonly 192.168.x.x addresses. If you have a particular need to allocate fixed IP addresses in a Local Area Network, each computer must have a unique IP address in the *SAME* Subnet (IP address range) as the Router.

Therefore, if your Router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then any fixed IP addresses you use must be in the range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 with the Subnet Mask address of 255.255.255.0 and the Default Gateway address which is the Router's IP address (192.168.1.1). You will also need to allocate the DNS Server addresses, one of which can be the Router's IP address.

If you are not familiar with IP addressing, I'd suggest you stick with getting all of the addresses automatically.

Me&U22 23:14 14 Nov 09

hi mgmcc,

Thanks i tried your suggestion but the problem remains.

I got a modem from verigin media connected to my netgear router.

mgmcc 08:01 16 Nov 09

When swapping the connection to the Cable Modem from your PC to a Router, you *MUST* power off the Cable Modem for a few minutes so that it loses the association between the existing connection (recognised by the adapter's MAC address) and the IP address it has allocated to it.

Connect an ethernet cable between the Cable Modem and the Router's WAN port and a second cable between the PC and one of the Router's LAN ports. Now in the correct sequence, power on:

1) the Cable Modem and, when fully booted with all lights displayed...
2) the Router. Allow this to boot fully then...
3) the PC

The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate a new IP address to it.

In the PC, if you open a Command Prompt window and run IPCONFIG /ALL it will show the IP address that the PC has obtained from the Router. It should be something like:

IP address - 192.168.x.x
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway - 192.168.x.1 (the Router's IP address)
DNS Servers
- 192.168.x.1 (the Router's IP address)
- one of Virgin's DNS servers (possibly 194.168.4.100 or 194.168.8.100)

(My Netgear WGR614 Router only allocates its own IP address as the single DNS Server address.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…