I cant stop XP pro rebooting.

John B 15:48 23 Dec 04

I have just installed a netgear wireless card which worked fine but I could not get rid of a window asking me to disable xp wireless configuration setup utility so that I could use the netgear control utility.

Eventually the window decided to disappear and ever since the computer gets to the xp desktop (I can even open the start menu for a few seconds)but as soon as the netgear utility icon appears in the start tray on the right-hand side of the screen, the computer begins the reboot cycle.

I can't find a way to stop this from happening. I would like to either uninstall the netgear driver, or use the sysyem restore feature.

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

John

Dorsai 16:04 23 Dec 04

Have you tried safe mode? tap F8 repeatedly during start up, then select 'safe mode' from the menu.

While in safe mode you should be able to uninstall the drivers.

To prevent 'automatic restarting' control panel>system>Advanced tab>Startup and recovery settings button, and untick 'automaticall restart'. (but you will not be able to do this if the PC wont let you use it, but you should be able to do it in safe mode)

John B 16:07 23 Dec 04

I didn't know about the F8 thing! I'll go and try it now.

John B 16:23 23 Dec 04

That worked, I was able to complete a system restore and the wireless connection works again. I still get the 'disable xp wireless connection utility' window, which won't go away (I just drag it off the screen!) but I think that problem needs another thread.

Thanks again

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…