I can't shut down.

kinger 13:19 19 Jul 05

Hi all,

I am using Win XP with SP2 installed and recently, when I attempt to restart or shut down, I get a message 'DDE Server Window is not responding'. I click 'End Now'.

I then try again and again, sometimes Windows eventually does shut down but normally the screen just flickers and the desktop remains.

I have to switch off via the power button manually.

Any ideas of what causes this, please?

kinger 14:24 19 Jul 05

This problem is now happening every time, without fail, whereas before it was every now and again.

Any answers would be appreciated.

zarobian 15:25 19 Jul 05

Try "System Restore". You should know the date when it was working properly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:56 19 Jul 05

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

Underdogs 18:51 19 Jul 05

Almost for sure you have a corupted registry file. If using system restore does not do the trick, try a registry file repair program. There are loads around and most will let you run for a few days before requiring a few £s but if it works, it's money well spent. Failing that try reinstalling Windows over the top of the old Windows, but thats a last option. Hope this helps...

kinger 20:00 19 Jul 05

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm just removing those TSR programs one at a time to see which one may be causing this.

It must have been after installing updates recently as it was fine before.

Thanks again.

plough 20:35 19 Jul 05

Could you recommend a registry file repair program?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…