I can't reInstal XP Pro because...

derekmiles 13:16 25 Jan 10

I have Win XP Pro along with SP1-2 and 3.
I want to reinstal from my original Genuine XP pro CD but when I do, I get words to the effect
"Cannot reinstal since you have a later version"
Since I want to protect all my programmes and data, and that I have had such a lot of problems over the past three months with slowness and seizures etc, I though I should start from scratch.
I have the following;
2 large HD's less than 1/4 full.
AVG free, C Cleaner, Ashampoo WinOptimizer 6, Registry First Aid,Ad-Aware, startup Inspector.Norton Ghost 10.

How should I approach this problem ? Please.
None of my 'Fix' software solves anything !

canarieslover 13:54 25 Jan 10

If you want a clean install you will not be able to protect your programs. Your data is no problem as that can be copied across to another disk and then brought back later. Programs are different as when they install they make changes in the registry that won't be present in a fresh install of Windows. Personally I would approach the job by making another partition on the hard drive that you are not going to use for Windows. Copy all the data files acros to that partition. Download antivirus and firewall and any other free progs to this partition. Make certain that you have all the install disks for the programs that you use and registration keys. Access the bios and set computer to boot from CD, put in XP disk and boot computer. Reformat drive for a fresh install, do not select repair Windows. Let XP install and then re-install AVG & firewall and update XP then re-install progs.

derekmiles 14:40 25 Jan 10

My hearfelt thanks to you for your assistance in this matter. I feel confident that what you say is the way to proceed. I can see this is going to take some time to do and I will await awhile to consider all that has to be done in advance.
Again Canarieslover, a big thank you.
Best wishes Derek Miles.

Terry Brown 16:17 25 Jan 10

Download and install Autostreamer click here put your XP CD in the drive, ignore the service pack, as it will pick up the updates from your computer.

Follow the on screen instruction and it will create an ISO file on your computer, this will be a full version of XP with all the updates you had on your system.
Use a ISO burner (Like Nero) to burn to Cd.

Use the same licence number as the original CD.

Use like a normal XP CD.
Terry

derekmiles 06:49 26 Jan 10

Even more thanks now go to Terry. Thank you Terry I extend my gratitude. I will now study your details and when I feel confident hopefully, later today, I will proceed. Since I have plenty of spare space on a second drive, I will clone the drive C first using software to hand.
Thanks again to both.

Best wishes Derek Miles.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5