I can't insert a hit counter

bilbo baggins3 20:22 26 Aug 03

I am using FrontPage 2000 and have developed my own site successfully. When I insert a hit counter component ir appears in outline on my home page(with the words HIT COUNTER in the centre). After uploading to ftp site it still appears in outline. Where do I look to rectify.

anchor 20:32 26 Aug 03

Does your web site host support Front Page Extensions?. It may be that the "hit counter" is one of these extensions; (the FP experts can confirm this).

If you are using the free web space provided by your ISP, then almost certainly Front Page Extensions will not be supported.

The are lots of free hit counters available; just do a search on Google. One such, (that works well), is click here

bilbo baggins3 20:45 26 Aug 03

Thank you for your speedy response. I am using free web space provided by NTL. Does this mean I can't use certain features. The NTL directory of user sites shows plenty of animations and fancy buttons.What is the difference. If I get a hit counter from Google will this not work either.

Forum Editor 23:34 26 Aug 03

FrontPage components, and will not run on a server unless it has the FrontPage extensions installed. Some ISPs install the extensions automatically, some don't, and some will do it if you pay a small fee.

The other NTL user sites that have 'fancy buttons' and animations will almost certainly be using Java applets, and you could do the same. You'll find a nice, clean Java hit counter ready for free download if you
click here

and there's another one if you
click here

bilbo baggins3 16:12 29 Aug 03

I'm beginning to get a complex about this hit counter! I went to CounterBot.com, copied the HTML text and pasted it into the HTML text on my web site exactly as instructed. All it did was to insert the text into the body of my home page. I definately pasted it into the HTML tab (I know that's the first question you will ask). I have downloaded a program for Java and confirmed on CounterBot that my browser is Java enabled and I now have a Sun Microsystems Java 2 version 1.4.2 control panel in my task bar. Where do I go from here please.

Forum Editor 23:18 29 Aug 03

that the Java hit counter doesn't work when you load the page to the server? You won't see it working in FrontPage - it's got to be viewed in a browser.

bilbo baggins3 08:35 30 Aug 03

I copied the text to the HTML text on FrontPage, saved it, uploaded it to my ftp address. When I opened my website in IE it simply showed the text at the bottom of the home page

The Paul 17:03 30 Aug 03

Not changing the subject but I thought I'd put my spoke in here - I used to use a hit counter on a small site of mine. After a while I got emails from people asking my why I had so little traffic. (Actually, I was quite happy with the traffic). It made me realise, though, that a hit counter can be counter productive. I removed it and use the stats section on my web hosts facilities.

Does NTL have a facility for giving you usage stats. If so, why not use that to track the hits.

Otherwise, try these links too (although FE usually knows best). click here or click here

menorcarob2 15:08 31 Aug 03

having read a lot on web page design, the general opinion of the "experts" is that a hit counter does not do anything for your site, as al ot of people do not take any notice of the figure, but if the figure is very high they assume you started the counter at a false figure and not zero, if you want to know how many hits you are getting most hosting companys supply a facility to view your stats from thier control panel.

Forum Editor 15:53 31 Aug 03

They serve litle purpose in my view. It's a bit like saying "Look how much money I've got in the bank". If you're getting a lot of trafic you don't need a counter, and if you're not....well, you would probably rather keep quiet about it.

We're here to help however, and if bilbo baggins3 wants a counter there's no reason why we shouldn't oblige.

When you look at your page in design view, does it show a rectangular Java box with the J symbol?

pj123 17:54 31 Aug 03

Yes, I agree. Hit counters serve no purpose at all. I built a website for a company who insisted on having a counter, which I put on. I started it at 1000 it now reads (today 31/08/2003) 6872. He must be making millions! but when I asked him about it he is not even in the VAT bracket. So, what's the point of a counter?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…