I can't get rid of the Linux Start-up

DAG88 00:15 03 Sep 03

I installed the Mandrake Linux free with the last issue of PC Advisor, along with win xp pro, but hated it. After deleting the partition it was installed on and changing it into NTFS, using a program called partition manager, I was horrified to notice that the extremely annoying Linux Boot screen still appeared which asks which OS i want to boot and gives a small time limit before it automatically trys to boot Linux. Please, how do i now get rid of this boot screen???

powerless 00:21 03 Sep 03

Boot with a 98 floppy. click here

Type:

fdisk /mbr

Click ok

Restart then you'll boot into Windows.

Goycoolea 07:52 03 Sep 03

Fix the MBR, LILO (LInux LOader) is still there. Boot from your WinXP CD and run `fixmbr'. Don't know if you can use `fdisk /mbr' on WinNT 5.x -- definitely didn't work here on Win2000.

SheffieldSpy 08:40 03 Sep 03

You will need to install the Windows XP recovery console. To do this go to Start and Run in windows.

Then type the following where D: is the CD-ROM drive letter:
D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons press OK.

Restart the machine. Click or select 'NT' at the Linux bootloader. You are then given a second menu to start thr recovery console. Do this. When the recovery console is ready:

Type in:
'fixmbr' (without quotations). You will be warned about a non-standard boot record. Proceed. I have successfully done this process 3 times. Restart the computer. You will now just get the XP boot menu.

DAG88 08:46 03 Sep 03

thanks for the help. ive got rid of it now :)

powerless 08:47 03 Sep 03

How for "Search results" ;-)

SheffieldSpy 08:49 03 Sep 03

To get rid of the recovery console and the XP menu at start up. Go to 'System' in the 'Control Pannel' then click the 'Advanced' tab. Click on the settings button in the startup and recovery selction, then click edit under the system startup section. Delete the line reading 'C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /CMDCONS'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017