I can't get Google Earth to load/boot

Furkin 02 Jun 13

Hi all,

I am having trouble getting Google Earth to load.

It started playing up about 18 months ago,,,, sometimes it acted correctly,,,, other times, it was messy. After a while, it stopped loading/booting.

I tried an update, to no avail.

I have uninstalled it and downloaded it a dozen times or so.

It seems to download o.k, but will just not boot/load.
I think the last one – today – was v7.1.1.

Any ideas please ? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : IE9 (or 10 now ?) : Win 7 ult (32)

Nontek 02 Jun 13

Goggle for Google Earth Version 7.0.3.8542, then see if that one works.

It is the version I am using right now, I did earlier have similar problems as you!

Furkin 02 Jun 13

Cheers Nontek,

I'll give it a shot,,,, but over the months, I'm sure I would have already tried it.

Back shortly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Furkin 02 Jun 13

Thanks again – I am getting somewhere:

It seems to have installed properly, and it does load.

I put in a post code, and it zoomed in,,,, slowly, shakey,,,, creakily,,,, with a couple of black lines coming & going where the images ‘blend’. But, the image doesn’t focus.

I input another post code, which it listed,,, but wouldn’t even zoom in.

Soooo close,,,, but soooo far !

Also: what’s the difference between this version & 7.1.1 ?

Nontek 02 Jun 13

Not a lot of difference, just an earlier version - latest versions are not necessarily better.

Furkin 02 Jun 13

Thanks for that NT:

I put in a post code, and it zoomed in,,,, slowly, shakey,,,, creakily,,,, with a couple of black lines coming & going where the images ‘blend’.

But, the image doesn’t focus.

The screen is full of a smog-like colour,,,,,, until I pull back, & the image comes into view,,,,,, but from miles up in the sky.

Nontek 02 Jun 13

Are any other programs affected, if so perhaps you need to update your graphics driver?

Furkin 02 Jun 13

I'll look into the NVidia driver,,,, but,,,, I have just tried to launch G.E again,,,, but it has gone back to previous versions, in that it just won't launch.

The desk-top icon does have the blue/tallow shield on it,,,, but I have tried loading in both my names - one as Admin. This is my home machine, with only me using it, so I run everything as Admin.

Furkin 06 Jun 13

Its not working,,,,,,,,

I'm giving up again. I'll delete it and try in a few weeks,,,,, though, I've been trying for 18 months or so, with the same results on different versions.

I dropped Google a line,,,, but no reply.

Looks like I'll have to rely on Maps - grrrr.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I checked NVidia driver. It was current, but I tried to update anyway.

thanks for your help.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message