I can't get Google Earth to load/boot

Furkin 11:05 AM 02 Jun 13

Hi all,

I am having trouble getting Google Earth to load.

It started playing up about 18 months ago,,,, sometimes it acted correctly,,,, other times, it was messy. After a while, it stopped loading/booting.

I tried an update, to no avail.

I have uninstalled it and downloaded it a dozen times or so.

It seems to download o.k, but will just not boot/load.
I think the last one – today – was v7.1.1.

Any ideas please ? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : IE9 (or 10 now ?) : Win 7 ult (32)

Nontek 11:10 AM 02 Jun 13

Goggle for Google Earth Version 7.0.3.8542, then see if that one works.

It is the version I am using right now, I did earlier have similar problems as you!

Furkin 11:21 AM 02 Jun 13

Cheers Nontek,

I'll give it a shot,,,, but over the months, I'm sure I would have already tried it.

Back shortly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Furkin 11:35 AM 02 Jun 13

Thanks again – I am getting somewhere:

It seems to have installed properly, and it does load.

I put in a post code, and it zoomed in,,,, slowly, shakey,,,, creakily,,,, with a couple of black lines coming & going where the images ‘blend’. But, the image doesn’t focus.

I input another post code, which it listed,,, but wouldn’t even zoom in.

Soooo close,,,, but soooo far !

Also: what’s the difference between this version & 7.1.1 ?

Nontek 12:02 PM 02 Jun 13

Not a lot of difference, just an earlier version - latest versions are not necessarily better.

Furkin 22:21 PM 02 Jun 13

Thanks for that NT:

I put in a post code, and it zoomed in,,,, slowly, shakey,,,, creakily,,,, with a couple of black lines coming & going where the images ‘blend’.

But, the image doesn’t focus.

The screen is full of a smog-like colour,,,,,, until I pull back, & the image comes into view,,,,,, but from miles up in the sky.

Nontek 22:27 PM 02 Jun 13

Are any other programs affected, if so perhaps you need to update your graphics driver?

Furkin 22:34 PM 02 Jun 13

I'll look into the NVidia driver,,,, but,,,, I have just tried to launch G.E again,,,, but it has gone back to previous versions, in that it just won't launch.

The desk-top icon does have the blue/tallow shield on it,,,, but I have tried loading in both my names - one as Admin. This is my home machine, with only me using it, so I run everything as Admin.

Furkin 06:52 AM 06 Jun 13

Its not working,,,,,,,,

I'm giving up again. I'll delete it and try in a few weeks,,,,, though, I've been trying for 18 months or so, with the same results on different versions.

I dropped Google a line,,,, but no reply.

Looks like I'll have to rely on Maps - grrrr.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I checked NVidia driver. It was current, but I tried to update anyway.

thanks for your help.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone