i cant get any windows updates to download

pete h 14:42 28 Aug 04

hya i go to download the updates and get the following messages.

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:
For self-help options:

Windows Update Response Center

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Windows Update Newsgroups

i try these but never get anywhere. anyone got any idea's please

ianeon 14:44 28 Aug 04

I get the same response - this has just happened since I installed XP2 - I don't know what to do about it - good luck

VoG II 14:44 28 Aug 04
  curlylad 15:21 28 Aug 04

I recently had a similar problem and solved it like this :- Start , run , in the box type regsvr32 MSXML3.dll then click OK .Now try the download again.

^^

Wuggy 21:38 28 Aug 04

I recently installed SP2 and couldn't get windows update to run. Eventually I reset the internet zone settings to 'Default' in internet explorer. Apparently you have to have click here and http:// windowsupdate.com showing as trusted sites in the trusted zone under the Security tab in Internet Options in Internet explorer. I think SP2 resets your activeX settings.

cdb 15:39 29 Aug 04

I have the same problem as Pete H, after I updated from V4 to V5. I have not installed sp2 yet.

I tried VoGs link, but the item I need to change isn't listed in the registry :-S
I tried curlylads fix to no avail and also installing the other 2 downloads that were suggested in another link.

Anymore suggestions?

Stuartli 16:30 29 Aug 04

If you know the Knowledge Base number for any updates - they will be listed on the Security Updates and Downloads page at click here - key the number into the KB search field and you will link to the information page and a direct download source.

cdb 18:03 29 Aug 04

I think I may have sorted mine by turning Norton Firewall off. I'm not happy about having to turn it off for such a long time while sp2 downloads tho. :(

ianeon 19:33 29 Aug 04

Vog + Curlylad - tried your solution sadly they didn't work...Wuggy - tried yours, it wouldn't accept it unless the beginning read https:// - which didn't work....Everyone thank you for your ideas

end 22:44 29 Aug 04

have a look at the new forum section on SP2. may want to shift this to there?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant