I cant defrag my hard drive - please help!!!!!

JEFoord 20:22 23 Jul 03

I am having trouble defragmenting my hard drive. I have done it many times before successfully. I think i am having trouble because there may be an application running in the background. I have turned my screensaver off. When i press CTRL,ALT DEL it brings up a list of all the applications currently running in the background. Trouble is, I recall a conversation with someone once, who said i must not shut down certain applications or i will mess it all up. I am sure one of those mentioned was systray but i cant remember the others. Can anyone please tell me which applications i have to keep running so then i can shut down the rest and see if the defrager will then work as normal.Would really appreciate any help or advice you can give.
Many Thanks

John

VoG II 20:25 23 Jul 03

The easiest way is to defrag in Safe Mode.

To get into Safe Mode reboot and keep tapping F8 key just before the Windows screen appears. Then select Safe Mode from the menu that will appear.

Safe Mode stops lots of processes running in the background.

Djohn 20:26 23 Jul 03

Close all except "Explorer" and "sys.tray". then run defrag. Regards. j.

Kaacee 21:12 24 Jul 03

agree with Vog...surest way of defragging is in safe mode...another reason defrag may not be running is because task bar is on...switch it off then try it..remember to switch it back on again when defrag complete...

regards

TommyRed 22:21 24 Jul 03

As above and disable 'quick launch' taskbar, right click on empty grey space next to taskbar select taskbar and uncheck 'quick launch' remembering to check it again later.
TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…