I cant crop photos on my new Sony Vaio laptop

laptopdunce 20:30 PM 03 Jan 13

I did have a windows Vista laptop that had a fantastic default programme that enabled me to crop and alter the colour/lightness/darkness and all sorts of things on a photo, on this Vaio laptop it opens the photo but there is no way to crop a photo (which I do alot for ebay) I am really disappointed after it was so simple with the Vista laptop, I have tried to open a photo in Paint.net programme but I cant figure out how to crop a photo in there, what can I do? is there a different default programme that will let me "fix" a photo like the Vista laptop did? (I am really disappointed with this Vaio laptop as its IMPOSSIBLE (for me) to figure out what to do, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

lotvic 00:08 AM 04 Jan 13

What op sys do you have on your new Sony Vaio laptop? There will be a program on it or one to download for free from microsoft. Have you got Windows 7 or Windows 8?

lotvic 00:12 AM 04 Jan 13

Oh, I see you are on W7 http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/28/windows-7-help/4198279/cant-crop-photo-with-windows-7/ and should now be sorted with Lazarus The 2nd's response.

SillBill 00:18 AM 04 Jan 13
  lotvic 03:12 AM 04 Jan 13

I think 3 Threads on same problem is a bit excessive ;)

lotvic 16:13 PM 04 Jan 13

It doesn't get much simpler than this:

This is for the free program Irfanview 4 http://www.irfanview.com/

During Install - Remember to Untick also 'include Chrome web browser'

Edit | create custom crop selection | (Actual ratio from image) click on 'Save and apply to image' | use mouse cursor to drag the selection border lines (double headed arrow on lines) up or down, and left or right to cover the area you want to keep inside your 'box' | Edit menu, 'Crop Selection' (or hold down Crtl and press Y)

now go to, File | Save As and Save the result as (name of file here)cropped.jpg ((or whatever file name you want).jpg - or whatever file extension you want). You can now close your original picture. You will now have two pictures saved on your harddrive, the original and a new one that is cropped.

Now you can open your newly saved cropped picture in whatever program you want and do whatever you want with it :)

I shall put the above on all four of your threads to ensure you get to read it.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites