I cannot play a DVD

beansix 04:19 16 Feb 04

I am new to computing and purchased a second hand computer.
Due to problems I had to reformat the hard drive and did not have the driver disc for my DVD player.
When I installed XP Home, it loaded its own drivers.
I have just bought the latest copy of Computer Buyer to watch the DVD of the Vietnam War but the video does not play and Media player 9 suggests that the files are videos but cannot help further.
A friend say that I need an MPEG2 codec but cannot help further.
The DVD player is identified by Windows as an MT1316B BDV212B and the file extensions which I am trying to play are .BUP, .IFO and .VOB.
Can anyone supply any ideas?
Thankyou.

Lozzy 07:26 16 Feb 04

What you need is a decoder, you need a program called win DVD or Power DVD.

click here for Win DVD

click here for Power DVD

Diodorus Siculus 07:30 16 Feb 04

Or, MAximus DVD which is free from maximusdvd.com - follow the instructions on the site for getting the correct codecs to play the DVD.

Stuartli 08:50 16 Feb 04

You only need the basic Windows CDROM driver for a DVD-ROM drive (or, for that matter, a CD-ROM or rewriter drive).

Have you enabled DVD in WMP9 and also the file types from Tools>Options?

I have PowerDVD5 but also occasionally use WMP9 to play DVDs.

Jester2K 09:03 16 Feb 04

But you also need a DVD codec installed. When you install WinDVD / PowerDVD this installs the codec. Then you can use any Media Player (inc Windows MP) to play DVDs as long as it supports the codec.

No codec = no DVD player (just a slightly more expensive CD ROM Drive)

You either need to install a full DVD program like WinDVD or PowerDVD or Maximus DVD as stated above.

beansix 15:10 16 Feb 04

Thankyou everyone.

I remember WinDVD being on one of the magazine cover discs and will try that.

Stuartli 17:58 16 Feb 04

Codecs available with WMP9, whilst I use XP Pro - a DVD-ROM drive is basically a CD-ROM drive but has two lasers, one for CDs and one for DVDs (each laser reads a different wavelength).

Not all versions of XP can play back DVDs - it's all in the Help and Support about which versions do and don't.

tafoody 18:55 16 Feb 04

you won't play a video DVD until you install a software decoder, and thats not included with WMP9.

once the decoder is installed then WMP will play DVD video.

Jester2K 20:19 16 Feb 04

"Not all versions of XP can play back DVDs - it's all in the Help and Support about which versions do and don't. "

I can't find this info in H&S...

hugh-265156 20:32 16 Feb 04

click start/help&support/music video games&photos/video/fixing a problem/dvd troubleshooter/when i try to play a dvd nothing happens click next

click highlighted "decoder" phew! :-)

confusingly if you click "playing & recording video/overview" it doesnt tell you this.

most new computers come with some sort of dvd decoder like powerdvd though anyway.so windows media player uses that decoder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…