I cannot connect my ntl modem using USB connection

gyalsns19 13:35 08 Apr 06

I have a NTL (i know it sucks) cable modem. I have connected a wireless access point to the ethernet connection (for wireless laptop)and planning to use the USB connection for the pc. The wireless bit is working fine but the USB connection seems not to be working. Can anyone help??

Thanks

mgmcc 14:32 08 Apr 06

You cannot connect two computers simultaneously to the Cable Modem. The ISP only allocates one IP address and this will go to the first computer to connect. The second PC won't get an IP address and, as every computer on the internet must have a unique IP address, it won't get online.

To use the two simultaneously, either you install a router, or you connect the two computers together and enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the internet connection of the one PC that connects to the internet.

With a Router, it is the router which connects to the ISP and gets the one IP address. It then allocates IP addresses to the networked computers, using one of the IP address ranges reserved for use with Local Area Networks, and "routes" the internet traffic to the appropriate PC in the network.

gyalsns19 14:50 08 Apr 06

thanks for the info mgmcc. How do I enable the internet connection sharing? also will it work when Im using one of the pc connecting to the cable modem via a USB and the laptop via ethernet and wireless access point? I also have two different versions of windows os..the pc is uses Win XP and the laptop uses Win 2000

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…