I can receive but not send e-mail

romeohotel 16:29 06 Jul 03

I have just purchased a new laptop to relpace my ageing desk top. I have carefully put my isp co-ordinates into the new pc. I can connect to the internet, receive e-mails but not send. i ge the message 'your server has disconnected the connection'this is not true as I can still surf.
Everything works OK on the original desktop hence able to send this message. The laptop has Windows XP home and I use Outlook Express.
Could there be a conflict as I still have the desktop set up? I have Norton Internet security and have tried disabling the firewall, the XP firewall is not enabled, this makes no difference.
Any advice gratefully received.
RH.

Lú-tzé 16:34 06 Jul 03

Are you sure that you have the correct details for the SMTP server - it will need to be the same one as your desktop. BT for example is mail.btinternet.com or mail.btopenworld.com

Rayuk 16:53 06 Jul 03

As above recheck your settings.
The server mentioned will most probably be the email server which is different to the web server

Valvegrid 17:12 06 Jul 03

What ISP are you using for your email?

Paul.

palinka 18:29 06 Jul 03

check all your settings against what they are on your old machine. I had a similar problem, discovered I'd typed an @ where there should have been a . But took me 3 hours to discover this!

consultik 19:13 06 Jul 03

Same problem, but I get a different message - can't remember exactly what. I use a variety of different ISP's in Europe to receive my BT mail, but have to use webmail to send anything. As far as i can tell my email is correctly set up (I've checked this several times), but I did get some advice once that I should try SENDING via the ISP email server rather than the BTinternet one. I've never got round to trying this.

Valvegrid 19:20 06 Jul 03

Hi Paul,

I live in France and my ISP is
click here I have been to their setup pages and copied their settings exactly. If I go to their homepage and click webmail I can send and receive on that, but not using Outlook Express (clue??)
Any advice received with thanks.

RH.

My reply:

Hi RH,

I'll post your message to me on your thread on PCA if I may. I'm sure that way you will airing your problem to a wider audience for greater assistance.

Just one thought, some servers require the little box ticked that says "My server requires authentication" which is in the Accounts>Properties and click on the servers tab.

Thank you for your email, nice speaking to you.

Kind regards

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…