I can only get 16 Colours

wetterfugal © 18:57 27 Jul 05

I have a win 98 machine which worked ok until I changed the dispay settings to 16 colours in order to get an old version of MYST to work. (It did work ok but not on the higher setting.

Now I can't get it back again. In Display properties I have a choice of 16 colours, 256 colours and High Colour (16 bit)I have tried changing it to both of the others but it alwats reverts to 16.

I choose the setting click apply it then informs me that I need to restart to enable the new settings. Clicking the ok button restarts. As I click OK I get a brief glimps of the setting reverting to 16 colours.

Anyone got solution?

The display is a Super VGA on Cyrix XpressGRAPHICS{TM)

woodchip 19:04 27 Jul 05

In Windows Explorer, Click the Windows Folder, look down the right column, for Win.ini see if you have a Win.bak or old. check the size and date of these old Win files

wetterfugal © 19:25 27 Jul 05

I have a win.ini dated 23/08/01 no win.bak or win.old

woodchip 19:40 27 Jul 05

Why I asked is that it may have changed. You can only load the Graphics card drivers now to put it back. Go to device Manager\Display Addapters\Update Driver if you tell it to show all drivers you should see it there in the list click it and press enter. You should then get your colour back

wetterfugal © 20:35 27 Jul 05

There is only one driver listed. I have searched microsoft which indicated that I am using the best driver for for this device.

The computer is a Marqis supplied by Maplin. It came with a WIN 98 disc but nothing for the mainboad.

woodchip 12:44 28 Jul 05

It's not the main board unless it's onboard Graphics. You need the Graphics card Drivers loading

Diemmess 12:55 28 Jul 05

You are using 98. The fault is only a day or two old?

There is this possibility.

If you boot while prodding F8 you will reach the DOS screen and pick Command Prompt only.

Now type in scanreg /restore and Enter (make sure of a space after Scanreg)

Pick a date before this trouble and let it do its thing. This is a poor man's version of XPs system restore.

wetterfugal © 14:12 28 Jul 05

It is onboard sound and graphics.
scanreg did the trick. it came back with 256 colours which is the setting I last had and I was able to change it to my max High Colour 16 bit.

Thanks all for your help, Regards Vic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…