I can not install a new 40 GB hard drive on old PC

Nightmanager 12:02 02 Nov 03

I have tried to install a new 40Gb ExcelStor hard drive onto a Packard Bell Pentium 3 computer. It will not auto detect the hard drive. I have shorted the JBAT 1 jumper to clear the CMOS then put the jumper back and changed the jumpers on the hard drive to 15 heads, instead of the default 16 heads, manually selected the hard drive to 15 heads in the BIOS, as this is the highest the PC will see, but now the PC will only see 160Mb of the drive, not enough to load Windows 98 on. Has anyone got any suggestions please.

Dearersteak 12:20 02 Nov 03

One subjection, is to try upgrading your bois. I ran a 12Gig hard drive in my machine, and according to Packard bells website, my motherboard had only been tested with hard drive as big as 30 gig, so was unsure as to if it would take a 40gig.

So i upgraded my bois with a download from PB site, and installed my hard drive with no trouble. I now run two 40gigs side by side, but because i never tried installing the 1st one with old bios, I?m not 100% sure that the old bios would have failed, but it can't hurt to have a try.

Just be sure that you have the correct bois upgrade, as trying to install the wrong one can have fatal results.

oglemire 14:30 02 Nov 03

if you did not get a utility floppy with your HDD you should upgrade your bios like Dearersteak suggests.

plankton 15:13 02 Nov 03

What jumpers have you got on the drive? If you already have a system disk, then this should be set to slave.

plankton 15:15 02 Nov 03

Was that clear? Whichever drive is NOT the naster (with system on) should be slave settings.

plankton 15:19 02 Nov 03

I'll start again.;o)

As it's a P3, it should recognise large disks. Are you trying to install it as a new systen disk?

plankton 15:20 02 Nov 03

Scuse my "n"'s and "m"'s....

DieSse 16:23 02 Nov 03

A system of this sort of age will lilely have a capacity limit of 32Mb.

The ways round this are

1) Use the capacity limit jumper on the drive if it has one.

2) Upgrade the BIOS

3) Add-in a new PCI card to handle the drives.

4) Use a drive manufacturers work-around software.

The last one above is generally the safest bet.

DieSse 16:24 02 Nov 03

PS - what processor chip you have is not relevant - it's what's in the BIOS that matters.

plankton 12:08 03 Nov 03

DieSse

Thank you for pointing out all my mistakes, my brain was not working at all yesterday. I've got me coat....;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…