I can not boot up or instal win xp

Londoner1 17:12 07 Aug 08

Greetings,

Please help. I can not boot up or reinstall win xp on my newly built computer with P5KPL-E motherboard, Core 2 Duo cpu and one stick of 2GB DDR2. The three lines bellow are the clues of the fault but I don’t understand their meanings.

It started working alright after I assembled it. It was booting up from the hard Drive from my old computer. Then after a few days developed a fault. It couldn’t boot up any more. Each time, I put it on, after reaching win xp logo, it stops going further and restarts from the beginning of bios, after which it presents an apology message for the failure of window to load and presents a list about how to load window like normal or safe mode. If I want to start it normally, it stops at win xp logo and restarts at the beginning of bios and continues to the apology message. If I want to start it at safe mode, it will stop at line 3 bellow and go back to the beginning of bios and to the apology message.

When I boot it up from win xp CD, it stops with error lines of 1 and 2 bellow with the message that the window stopped to prevent computer damaged with instruction to disable any driver, which is responsible, or contact the vendors. This happens even when I disconnect the hard Drive (boot up HD) from the computer.

1- *** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XF748E0BF, 0XF78DA208,

0XF78D9F08)

2- *** pci.sys –Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3- multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\window\system32\drivers\mup.sys

Joe R 17:16 07 Aug 08
  spex75 17:46 07 Aug 08

Is the Windows XP disk you are using SP1 or 2? Do you have a PCI-E Graphics card fitted?

Londoner1 09:15 08 Aug 08

Greetings Joe R,

Many thanks for your help. I think I have bios problem. I will inform you when I find a solution to benefit others.

Regards.

Greeings spex75,

My boot up hard drive installed with win xp with sp2 as well as any updates after sp2. The installation took place on my old computer with 2.8ghz intel cpu. But my newly assembled compute can not boot up from it any more. Before the problem developed, it booted up from it without any poblem. No pci-e has been installed. all the tests done on the integrated graphic card.

Regards

Ditch999 11:29 08 Aug 08

Correct me if I'm wrong please but am I right in thinking that you put the hard disk from one PC in to another PC and just switched it on?
If so, were the motherboards identical and configured in the same way in the BIOS?

Londoner1 21:49 08 Aug 08

Greetings Ditch999.

Yes, you are right. My old motherboard is p4vm90 and the new one is p5kple-e. After assembling my new computer, simply I moved my boot up HD from my old computer to the new one. It worked without any problem as I expected.

Regards.

smoking44 22:13 08 Aug 08

Installing on a hard drive in one pc and then putting that hard drive in another pc with a diferent motherboard is just asking for problems. Suggestion is to format hard drive in said pc and install windows in the pc motherboard you are going to use.

woodchip 22:51 08 Aug 08

As Ditch999 above, your problem is running it with the old drivers for other motherboard

woodchip 22:52 08 Aug 08

PS have you tried starting PC with XP CD then do a Repair of the Operating System

Strawballs 00:11 09 Aug 08

Personally I would do a clean install, but if you only have an OEM rescue disc from your old machine then you will need to buy a copy of windows as it will have the drivers from your old mother board on it to restore factory settings as per your old machine.

lotvic 14:33 09 Aug 08

Moving a hard drive with XP installed to a new computer click here

XP and change of motherboard how-to click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017