I can make a cup of tea while Norton ...

Mike D 15:42 17 Mar 04

... gets its act together.

In the last three weeks (there or there abouts) when booting up, my PC gets into Windows XP pretty quickly, but it must be a further 2 or 3 minutes before I can really do anything, such as start surfing or check e-mail. Whilst I cannot see anything untoward happening in the running processes in Task Manager or the Start up applications in msconfig, the culprit seems to be Norton AV as, until its icon arrives on the Task Bar, everything is on a go slow.

I have not installed anything that I can remember, and using System Restore to do some time travel bck into the past has no effect.

Could this be a virus (nothing is showing up) or does anyone have any other suggestions.

Mike

hugh-265156 15:47 17 Mar 04

untick it in msconfig and restart the computer to test if it is norton.

dont forget to put the tick back again afterwards.

defrag may help.

if it is norton causing the go slow the try avg click here

hugh-265156 15:51 17 Mar 04

more troubleshooting click here

ps there was some time ago a little ms utillity called bootvis which optiomozes your start up to make it a bit zippier.its no longer available but i have a copy so if you wish to try it,click the little yellow envelope beside my name and i will send it to you.its only a few kb in size.

Mike D 15:52 17 Mar 04

Thanks huggyg71, I'll give it a try when I get home (slow day at the mill!).

Mike

ventanas 15:53 17 Mar 04

It probably is Norton, same thing on my machines.
You want to try it with the firewall, you've time to drink it as well. I've learnt to live with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…