I can browse but not download!!

Stressed Mum 21:06 26 Jul 10

Working with Dell Laptop XP..Always used to be able to download without problems but just recently (my daughter tells me longer - it's her laptop, and when trying to watch ITV player the connection kept fropping) you cannot keep the connection once you start downloading. I have tried just about every forum on the net and twiddled around with all sorts to no avail. Router Netgear and firmware up to date. I am lost now. Can't system restore back further than yesterday. I think I would like to just rest the wireless card (?) back to default settings and start again - but don't really know what I am talking about!! Have the same problem whether using Chrome (which we love) Firefox, Safari or IE.Would really appreciate your help. Thanks. SM:(

northumbria61 22:21 26 Jul 10

don't have ITV Player but there are some Q & A for it which may help - click here

Also do you have the LATEST version of Adobe Flash Player 10.1 - download from here - click here

** Make sure if/when you download the above you UNTICK where it says "Also Install Free McAfee Security Scan" **

Technotiger 22:25 26 Jul 10

Try re-setting the Router by switching off the Routers Power, or disconnecting its Power lead. Wait 10-15 seconds then re-connect and re-start the Router. Not guaranteed, but does sometimes work.

Stressed Mum 23:01 26 Jul 10

OK - thanks will try the router - as for the ITV player - it used to work fine - but it is more to do with actual downloads not completing - the connection drops before I have time to save the file and install - I was wanting to update itunes, ccleaner, avg etc - and as soon as the upgrade starts to download - it fails! I am sure this is something to do with the wifi card settings - I'll get back to you on the router reconnection. Going to try it now.

Stressed Mum 23:18 26 Jul 10

No luck with the router being switched off. Tried twice to no avail. The wireless icon shows connected with very good status level, but as soon as a download link is hit the connection fails, just for a few seconds - then reconnects again.Never stays connected long enough to download the complete file.

Technotiger 09:52 27 Jul 10

In IE go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections and make sure that 'Never dial a connection' Setting, shows a dot.

Technotiger 09:54 27 Jul 10

Or, it could be that your Security settings are set too high, you could try lowering the settings in IE - Tools>Internet Options>Security ....

Stressed Mum 10:41 27 Jul 10

Thanks - checked that and the Never Dial Connection does have a dot in it.

Stressed Mum 10:44 27 Jul 10

Got security settings on default - medium high. Does this only affect IE? We don't use IE very often - it at all - only for Windows updates.

beynac 10:54 27 Jul 10

Have you checked with your ISP? If you have been using ITV Player a lot, you may have exceeded your limit and they may be restricting your connection for downloads.

Stressed Mum 11:10 27 Jul 10

no - that's absolutely fine - ISP is Zen and I have a status usage bar telling me how much we have used. Never reached the limit yet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant