I blamed the monitor but.........

polo 22:48 31 Mar 07

I few months ago I posted a thread asking for help because my wife's crt monitor kept going yellow for intermittent short periods. The consensus of opinion was that the monitor was on it's last legs. I have borrowed an LCD monitor and that too is showing colour problems but in a different way. At the same time I've tried my wife's CRT monitor on my computer and it works perfectly, so clearly the problem is not with the monitor but with the computer. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be and if anything can be done about it. The computer is 7 years old so maybe it's about had it?

rdave13 22:56 31 Mar 07

Might be the graphics chip on the motherboard. If you haven't got a graphics card but do have an AGP slot then think of buying a GPU card. This program will show what you have on the pc. click here

Technotiger 22:58 31 Mar 07

Hi, sounds more like a graphics problem to me .. 7yrs old, so possibly on-board graphics at a guess, could me the mobo on its way out. Or if a graphics card is fitted, try another one.

rdave13 23:05 31 Mar 07

With everest running expand "display" in the left pane. Click on "windows video". The right pane should give the full details of your GPU. If not then try the other setups underneath.

polo 23:06 31 Mar 07

On-board graffics.

polo 23:06 31 Mar 07

Graphics!!!!!!!!!!

Technotiger 23:10 31 Mar 07

Time to bury the old-girl and go for a newer model I think. A lot has happened in 7 years!

woodchip 23:57 31 Mar 07

Faulty Graphics, Ether onboard or the Graphics card. You can find out by just looking where the Monitor connect at the back. Onboard will connect to a socket grouped with other sockets, Graphics card will be on a Narrow strip of metal at the back about
5" x ½" In ether case you need a new Graphics card, this will depend on what the motherboard supports. It will most likely be AGP if it a year or so OLD

phono 00:16 01 Apr 07

"You can find out by just looking where the Monitor connect at the back. Onboard will connect to a socket grouped with other sockets, Graphics card will be on a Narrow strip of metal at the back about
5" x ½""

Unfortunately some mobo manufacturers, notably PC Chips for one, had onboard graphics but used a header on the mobo to which a standard backplane riser bracket with VGA connector had been fitted and was connected by a ribbon cable.

The upshot was when looking at the back the PC it looked like it had an external video card fitted, as this PC is 7 years old it may well have a PC Chips, or similar, mobo fitted so the only way to be certain is to take the side off and look.

bennyhillslovechild 00:32 01 Apr 07

It's not very likely to have any effect, but have you tried a different monitor cable? I had a problem once where my monitor was showing weird colours and hues, and it turned out the cable had gone faulty.
It's worth a try if you can borrow one to make sure, but I must admit I agree with the other posters' diagnoses that it's more likely to be a faulty graphics chip.

ashdav 01:24 01 Apr 07

If the computer is 7 yrs old I think you need to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
This is probably the first of many faults that are likely to develop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…