I am unable to make charges to Start Bar in XP

csansbury 18:36 17 Jun 03

I used to be able to make changes the shortcuts in my windows xp pro start bar by right clicking them or by dragging and dropping them.

I can't do this any more.

I also used to be able to right click to shortcuts in the "most used programs" section and remove them.

I can't do this either.

I am also unable to remove programs which are now permanently stuck in the "sticky shortcuts" section. I am still able to add and remove IE and OE in the start bar options, but nothing else.

I do not know how this happened. I am assuming these problems are all linked, and I am also assuming that at some point I didn't follow my own advice to "leave well alone" and clicked something I shouldn't have.

Does anybody know how to restore this functionality? The problem has been going on for ages, and every search I try on web pages, search engines or help desks draws a blank.

hugh-265156 18:45 17 Jun 03

right click the taskbar and click properties/taskbar and tick the boxes you want.

next click on the advanced tab and tick what you want to do ie/enable drag and drop etc.

hugh-265156 18:46 17 Jun 03

sorry start menu/customize/advanced

csansbury 18:53 17 Jun 03

This doesn't seem to be an option.

I just have:

Open submenus when I pause on them with my mouse.
highlight newly installed programs

Start Menu Items

List my most recently opened documents.

hugh-265156 18:59 17 Jun 03

in Start Menu Items there should be an enable dragging and dropping tick box

VoG® 19:04 17 Jun 03

I wonder if the policies have been changed click here

I suggest that you have a look at the registry entries and check what is enabled (Dword = 1).

csansbury 21:35 17 Jun 03

Thanks guys....problem sorted.

You have inspired me to try and get a couple of other niggly problems on my pc solved.

Why I didn't register to this site before, I don't know.

Brilliant!

VoG® 21:38 17 Jun 03

Erm, but what worked?

csansbury 21:48 17 Jun 03

Sorry....

I changed the windows policies in the registry entries as you suggested. I am always a bit wary about delving that deep into Windows, but I followed the link you provided to the Microsoft Product Support web-site, and also did a quick search on the site about making registry changes ( click here;EN-US;256986 ) and followed their instructions step by (extremely careful) step.

It turned out that nochangestartmenu had been enabled.

Now it's not!

Thanks again lads.

VoG® 21:52 17 Jun 03

Glad that it worked. The reason I asked was to help anybody who might search the site in the future.

As you've discovered, MSKB links do not post correctly here. You need to post them in the form

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256986

(I've put a space after // to stop, it turning into a "click here").

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…