I am receiving ?out of memory? messages when I try

Reet 17:03 26 Jul 03

I am receiving ?out of memory? messages when I try to save work in word and Excel.

After reading some of the threads in this forum during the week I realised I have some problems that need help. I asked my grandson to remove his music onto discs and to uninstall Karzza, Morheus and anything else related.

Then I downloaded Ad-aware as advised in the forum. It revealed 644 objects, some were deleted by the program, about 35 items, the others are still there! Things like Dialers, Cydoor, Aureate. Malware, Gator, New.Net, and loads of others I?ve vaguely seen mentioned but smugly thought ?doesn?t effect me? ?I?ve got ZoneAlarm and AVG?.

Having installed Ad-aware I? m not sure what to do with it! It asks me to name the file I want quarantined. Does that mean all 644 objects? Would I be better off reformatting? Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you inadvance to anyone who replies
Rita

PS. The Pc is a Medion, Pentium 111 purchased April 2001, 1GHz, 256 S-DramPC133, 40GB Seagate hdd,GeForce2mx400 64MB, XP home upgraded from Windows ME.

VoG II 17:09 26 Jul 03

When Ad-aware has run and displayed its list of "nasties" you need to click in the little box to the left of each one to select them all. Then press the button to quarantine them.

VoG II 17:10 26 Jul 03

You ought to run Spybot as well - it zaps some that Ad-aware misses and vice versa click here

Reet 17:33 26 Jul 03

Sorry about the ? I meant to insert? marks instead! Thank you for your advice VoG. I have just downloaded ?Spybot? will get back to you when I have run it.

Reet 07:48 27 Jul 03

Thank you VoG. Spybot turned up 13 pages of nasty looking files. It took a while to read through the tutorial however it was a bit easier to grasp. Most of the boxes were already ticked so I just pressed the button shut my eyes and prayed.

This morning I was left with 1 page, half with ticks already in the boxes, I placed ticks in most of the others afer reading where they came from. I am now left with 1 entry for New.net which could not be removed because it was inuse!?.
Also about half a page of MySearch Which I think is the Google Search bar. Do you think it safe to leave this? There were no ticks in any of these boxes.

VoG II 09:16 27 Jul 03

MySearch seems fairly harmless but you can remove it via Control Panel/Add&Remove programs click here

Information on new.net click here

You could try getting rid of this in Safe Mode. To do this reboot then keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows screen appears. Then select Safe Mode from the menu which will appear. Run Spybot to remove it.

Reet 09:43 27 Jul 03

Thanks Vog once again. I think I will leave the MySearch for the time being as it seems fairly harmless and my daughter uses it a lot.

I am not confident enough at the moment to enter regedit so I will try getting rid of new.net in safe mode as you suggest. I'll post back if successful! If not I've crashed

In the meantime I will post new rules for safe surfing on the monitor. Will anyone take notice?

Regards Rita

ollie < one> 10:12 27 Jul 03

ddd

Reet 11:36 28 Jul 03

VoG went into safe mode(first time ive been there) all went well Spybot removed it. I shall run this program regularly from now on. thank again
Rita

Jester2K II 11:40 28 Jul 03

Removing NewDotNet is best achieved with their own tool. Bottom of this page.....

click here

Reet 15:31 28 Jul 03

Thanks Jester2K 11. I have kept a copy of that page in case New.Net ever appears again.I dont know how it got there in the first place!
Regards Rita

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…