i am going to throw my pc

macca57 21:56 19 Apr 04

my problems started when my windows xp pro system would`nt recognise my cd rom drives or my floppy drives. I was told the controllers may be to blame, so i brought a new asus motherboard and formatted my hdd and started again. Every worked fine for about a week then the pc would restart for no reason then it would not shut down, now evry time i start it it boots as far as the xp boot menu, then what ever option you choose it ressets itself. So i changed the power supply this made no difference, so i disconected everything bar the hdd and the problem is still there. i have an asus A7V8X-MX motherboard and an AMD Athlon xp 2000+ and 512mb pc2100 memory. Can anybody help please.

Forum Editor 22:05 19 Apr 04

to assume that such problems are hardware-related.

Do you have anti-virus software running, and have you downloaded all the WindowsXP critical updates?

maz2 22:10 19 Apr 04

I had a problem like this a while ago where my cd/dvd rom drimes disappeared from My computer after a lot of fiddling about I found that they did't like some drivers that I had installed I know one was for a card reader

reddwarf 22:30 19 Apr 04

I recently came across a similar problem to this. I finally traced it to a faulty RAM module.

Totally-braindead 22:38 19 Apr 04

I don't want to muddy the waters here but if you look at
click here
this guy is using the same board and is having the same problems. Could the two be related?

Totally-braindead 22:43 19 Apr 04

Sorry should have said similar problems, just wondering if this particular board is particularily fussy about memory, reason I'm thinking this is I had a PC a couple of years ago that was very touchy about memory and it took me weeks to sort out. I had the thing apart so many times I'm surprised I didn't wear he connectors out.

macca57 09:37 20 Apr 04

Thanks for your help everybody i will keep you posted.

remember an old quote from Steve Wozniak " never trust a computer you can't throw out the window!"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…