I am completely baffled!

Lindsey T 19:51 16 May 06

I have had a 3com wireless broadband modem/ router and tiscali broadband service running perfectly with an actual 2mb connection speed since christmas.

Since Saturday my download spped has dropped to about 70kbps - upload speed is completely unaffected normal at 250kbps.

The only thing I can find that might be wrong is the folowing from my router....which I don't understand....

Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 2992 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 0
Fast Path CRC Error 78 34235
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 0
Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0

I've got Norton Anti virus and firewall installed, but removing them both makes no difference. Time of day is irrelevant too.

I wonder if it is a line fault?

Can anyone please help.

Totally-braindead 20:22 16 May 06

Have you tried the Speedtest to confirm? click here

ed-0 20:25 16 May 06

"Fast Path FEC Correction 2992 0"

Impact
There has been a near end correction in the fast path. There is no impact on the session.

Action
No action is needed.

"Fast Path CRC Error 78 34235 "

Impact
A near end CRC error has been detected in the fast path. There is no long-term impact on the session.

Action
No action is needed.

From click here

It may be worth reading the tiscali forums click here They are some who also have poor speeds for 2M BB.

Lindsey T 20:33 16 May 06

Thanks for the responses guys - I have used the tiscali speedtester which says my connection is 256 mbps! Apparently this is an issue with wireless routers in general.

Glad to hear that my modem isn't causing the problem given the comments above.

I've read through the Tiscali forums, but can't find anything to help.

Does anyone have any ideas at all why my download speed would drop so dramatically?

Thanks again for the help so far..

Totally-braindead 20:38 16 May 06

You mention wireless, I wonder if someone else is able to connect through your connection to Tiscali. Don't know much about this sort of thing though, I'm sure someone who knows the ins and outs will advise. I could be way off base with that suggestion.

Lindsey T 20:41 16 May 06

Thanks very much for the suggestion - but I've got WEP encyption and password protection, so I think I'm pretty secure......still baffled!

bluto1 22:53 16 May 06

I`ve been having very similar problems with my "up to 2MB "service lately,(from Tiscali) and on other posts I`ve read about `Contention ratio`. I don`t know how to discover mine, but it has something to do with the number of people on your local exchange using your BB provider. Hope that might help in some small way.

Skills 23:12 16 May 06

Could be down to tiscali I had slow connection speeds for quite a while and just recently there server has been down in my neck of the woods PLymouth area at present thou im getting fairly good speeds of around the 2meg

If you're still having problems it might be worth firing off an email to this guy [email protected]

Was given his email by another forum member and he did respond to my queries.

On another note if you can you would be better off setting up WPA encryption as its more secure than WEP

ed-0 23:18 16 May 06

" says my connection is 256 mbps! "

Now that is fast.lol try click here

I think bluto1 has hit the nail on the head. tiscali, like other ISP's only have of much of the broadband pipe. They do tend to bang in as many subscribers as they can from an exchange. this can mean that the share can be thinned down at peak times. The worrying thing is that you say you are on poor speed all the time. Do you download a lot at peak times. Have you been given a FUP?

Totally-braindead 00:00 17 May 06

I must admit this is confusing me a bit. I'm with Tiscali on the 1mb unlimited tariff and I'm getting better speed than Lindsey T appears to be getting.

Lindsey T 16:00 17 May 06

Thanks I've tried e-mailing Steve Best so we'll see what happens...

What is an FUP?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…