HyperOS, An explanation of it's workings.

flecc 17:37 01 Feb 03

I hope that you'll forgive me returning to this subject but I think far too little credit has been given to this development by the computing press and fraternity. I see it as possibly the most important advance in the history of computing with PCs and it's very real benefits should be understood and apparent to everyone.

Therefore I want to attempt a brief but clear explanation of how it works.

It's not the huge, advanced, highly sophisticated, impossible to understand program that you might expect, but a very small compilation of C, DOS batch, Borland Delphi and Macromedia flash, the remarkable thing being the intelligent way in which it's been employed to produce a quantum leap in performance. In size it's just 18 mb, and that includes Partition Magic 8.

In use it's function is a parallel multiboot, so in practice all of the Windows systems in the computer boot at the outset, but this process takes no longer than usual since resources are not a real impediment at this stage. That's all very well, but as we all know, only one drive can boot and run, but many Windows systems cannot be on one drive, an impasse. The intelligent bit is that although every system has it's own drive partition, E, F, G, H, I, J, K etc, each drive also has the alias of D.

Now you will know if you're running drive G Windows, and drive G Windows knows it's running on drive G but importantly, your computer doesn't, you've fooled it with HyperOS! It thinks it's always running on Drive D which is a tiny shadow partition of just 100 mb and it behaves accordingly.

If you change systems it doesn't reboot, why would it want to from D to D? What it does is load files as if the Windows it's going to was a program, and this is very much faster than rebooting. Of course it takes a bit of time. Just as a huge program like Office crawls onto the desktop, an even bigger program called Windows will be slower, but 40 seconds or so is infinitely quicker than two or three minutes.

Effectively, although HyperOS is a program and Windows is an operating system, they swap roles and HyperOS becomes a tiny and therefore incredibly fast operating system, while each Windows becomes a program loaded from a shortcut. Indeed, as well as a window called My Other Computers, HyperOS has a start menu style column of the drives rising from the taskbar when needed just like the start menu.

I hope that this has completely clarified the workings for you and satisfied the huge demand for information about this, but if anything further is needed or you have any questions, please do post below.

So how are all the performance gains achieved? First let's look at RAM memory. Windows 9x cannot reliably address more than 512 mb of this, but the NT family including XP can address very large quantities. HyperOS cleverly controls this in two ways, ensuring that 9x can only ever see a maximum of 512 mb, but permitting XP to see everything fitted.

Then there's an alternative split, the 9x memory can be divided between a RAM hyperdrive and Windows in varying proportions. For example, my typical configuration with 768 mb of RAM is all available to XP, but with only 512 available to 9x, and the alternative split gives the Hyperdrive 512 mb of RAM with Windows allocated 256 mb. I could therefore have a little more, but the 768 mb is the most recommended for this configuration and is more than adequate.

flecc 17:37 01 Feb 03

Using Hyperdrive, Windows will load into RAM in about ten seconds, and a Windows run in RAM is obviously very much faster than when run from the hard drive. Where a modern hard drive can achieve at best from 30 to 50 mb/sec in continuous running, the RAM drive easily runs at 266 mb/sec and the difference can rise to as much as 10 times! What this means to you as a user is that HyperOS can copy the huge Windows XP in just 75 seconds according to the company, while in practice my lean XP partition is copied in a startling 42 seconds and my smallest OS and programs are totally backed up in a mind blowing 12 seconds on a UDMA 5 hard drive. (ATA100).

The additional huge benefit of the RAM hyperdrive is that when you stop using it, it no longer exists, and anything that was a part of it such as a virus also no longer exists. Although it's definitely not recommended to run without protection, you can run an Internet system without ant-virus and firewall with complete impunity and I've done so. Quickly picking up the Alevir virus and I-worm Opas trojan, I just ignored them and carried on to the end of the session when dumping the drive made everything disappear. Although all drives and Windows versions are seen at all times, the insulation seems to be excellent and I've been unable to produce a cross infection. This was purely experimental and it's not desirable, especially if mail is involved, but it indicates the huge additional protection benefit that HyperOS confers. You need never again be neurotic about the very latest update within seconds.

Sadly, once again this is an area in which XP cannot fully participate, since it cannot use the RAM drive. However, the remaining benefits are just as real and worthwhile
so that's not a reason to avoid purchase.

Just as their claims prove not to be hype but precise fact, I hope you can see that my enthusiasm and the use of the expression quantum leap is justified. This really is computing in the next decade, possibly the next century, Mr Spock would be green with envy!

But we haven't even begun. Windows has a "destructive" partitioning utility called Fdisk which most of you will have used. HyperOS also has a "destructive" partitioner called Hdisk, but there's a difference. To set up 21 (yes, Twenty-One) partitions on a large hard drive will take as little as 3 seconds or so. No, that's not a typing error, THREE SECONDS.

I believe my use of "possibly the greatest advance in the history of the PC" is also justified and I have nothing but admiration for it's creators. It really does make my advances with stripped Windows systems seem very mundane although they are well matched to this system.

There appears to be a remarkable parity of thought between me and HyperOS, our opinions on most aspects of computing being identical, and like me, they also strongly support LitePC.com and the 98Lite range of product and recommend their use. I can only find two divergencies, they recommend the IBM 120GXP series while I'm inclined to be very cautious in that area given the recent history, and they do not recommend the ATI Radeon graphics cards.

Actually there's no disagreement on the latter point, but having two of the latest Radeon cards leaves me disappointed! The technical reasons are sound though. All graphics cards have the ability to use the top 1 gigabyte of memory, but the Radeon cards appear to be the greediest so when starting afresh the recommendation is to use the Nvidia Gforce range. If you use Windows 95 OSR2, the Gforce 4 cannot be used though, it would have to be versions 2 or 3.

When this product is mentioned, the subject of Virtual PC is often raised. There is in fact not even the barest comparability. HyperOS have a simple and accurate description of the difference. HyperOS is twenty men each carrying a few cases. Virtual PC is one man carrying the other nineteen men and all the cases. You judge which is the faster.

I could fill this site for weeks with information on this amazing product, it's use with networking, RAID etc, but the most sensible thing to do is to stop now and leave it to your intelligence and perceptive questions to give me the opportunity to fill any gaps.

As PCA know, I have no connection with HyperOS except as a delighted customer.

-pops- 17:42 01 Feb 03

Does HyperOS require to be loaded on to a clean disk or can it go alongside/on top of my current XP setup?

flecc 17:51 01 Feb 03

Hello Brian.

It can just be added to it immediately as you would any other program and it loads in less than 30 seconds. Then following the instructions and using the included PartitionMagic 8, you divde the hard drive as many times as you wish. One XP, two XPs, ten XPs, or with the largest version, twenty XPs, you decide.

The system boots with your existing XP and you can run it from there, change to any other, or boot to any other, you have total control at all times. Unlike standard Windows, it's impossible to be totally halted and full recovery is always possible.

Joe McG 17:53 01 Feb 03

There is a 15 page section in this months PC Advisor all about HyperOs, explaining most of the workings etc.

Ps, it's the "March Edition".

flecc 17:53 01 Feb 03

Of course not just XP, you can use any of your previous Windows in any combination, even 95 and NT, all will perform in a way you've never seen before.

flecc 17:57 01 Feb 03

Yes, these ads have been appearing for a long time but they don't explain the workings or structure, just the outcomes.

Accordingly this posting is aimed at those who require a better description and you're free to read elsewhere if that's what suits you of course.

A courteous reminder, this is a helproom.

leo49 17:58 01 Feb 03

Thanks flecc for providing an overview of how it actually works - I'd waded through the pages of advertising copy in various magazines and been none the wiser at the end of it.

-pops- 17:59 01 Feb 03

Rayuk 18:13 01 Feb 03

Only drawback for me seems to be you cannot run it with NTFS,am I right in this.

-pops- 18:13 01 Feb 03

Like Leo49 I've seen a lot of hype(rOS) but not a lot of real explanation. This thread does that admirably. The only problem now is finding the cash!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…