Hyperlinks within posted messages

Vale Blue 13:11 28 Nov 08

Why do hyperlinks get planted in discussions? How irritating.

oldbeefer2 13:25 28 Nov 08

Perhaps because it's the quickest way for a possible answer to a question/probem to be accessed. I don't find them 'irritating' at all.

Clapton is God 13:30 28 Nov 08

I think the word you're looking for is 'useful'; not irritating.

They help to enhance the discussions and provide additional information for members.

As someone who's been using these Forums since 2002 I've never, ever thought of them as irritating.

Vale Blue 14:00 28 Nov 08

Sorry, I've not been clear. It's the ones which when you roll over them, you get an advert for BT or somebody and if ypu click them you go to an advertiser's website.

Clapton is God 14:25 28 Nov 08

No, you weren't clear.

But without such advertising, how do you imagine that PCA would generate income to run this website?

Vale Blue 14:39 28 Nov 08

I guess I thought that the site was of itself a promotional website and subscriptions to PC Advisor might generate income. Then there are the overt advertisements that adorns every page which presumably isn't there for free. I can choose whether or not to read/click on them. But there is something underhand about changing someone's posting to include a link to a site that I may or may not endorse without this having been declared as part of the deal upfront.

Clapton is God 14:46 28 Nov 08

If you have a beef, e-mail the Forum Editor.

But it's worth mentioning that this topic crops up, ad nausem, on a regular basis.

oldbeefer2 14:48 28 Nov 08

Not sure I've ever seen a posting being changed to include a link?

iscanut2 16:11 28 Nov 08

If you use Firefox, use Adblock Plus and Flashblock if you want to avoid them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…