Hyperlinks don't work in MS Word document.

oo7juk 10:27 16 Jun 10

Hi there,

I have created a word document (version 2003) which is being emailed to others who have access to the same drives as the hyperlink locations.

When I create hyperlink and point to correct path/document it works OK on my PC, but when I attach document containing hyperlinks to an email my collegues can't open links. It says that item can't be found.

When I view document on their PC and select "edit hyperlink" the hyperlink isn't looking in the correct path, it seems to be looking in one of their temp folders.

When setting up hyperlink I open document I want to link to then open the hyperlink function and select recent item.

Many thanks,

Ian in Northampton 11:28 16 Jun 10

I think you've pretty much answered your own question. The hyperlink you're using is a path used by *your* machine to get to the document in question, so it won't work on any other machine. You need to provide a 'hard' link to the document i.e. drive\folder\document. I would tend to key it in rather than copying/pasting it.

MAT ALAN 12:18 16 Jun 10

click here

this may help...

oo7juk 13:33 16 Jun 10

Hi,

Thanks for replys.

From what I've read MAT ALAN, once I email document containing hyperlinks the recipient has to save attachment to e.g. desktop for the hyperlinks to work. Taken from site - (Do not just open the documents, save them first. Saving is required in order to establish a hyper link).

Ian - you mention hard link, would I right click document/ select properties and insert the location path. Would this avoid using what I stated above.

Thanks.

Ian in Northampton 14:33 16 Jun 10

oo7juk: if, for example, you wanted to link to a document on a network drive, I think you'd do as follows.

My network drive is abcdef
My personal folder on that drive is ian
A folder in 'ian' is called 'personal'
A document in 'personal' is called 'letter'

A hyperlink that would find 'letter' from any PC attached to that same network drive would look as follows:

\\abcdef\ian\personal\letter

In other words, if I entered that string into Windows Explorer, it would take me to 'letter'.

My guess is that what you're copying/pasting is perhaps a short cut that your machine creates to access the file you want - but by definition, a short cut on your machine won't work on someone else's machine. That's what I mean by a'hard' URL: it's the same, wherever you access it from.

Give it a try, let us know.

Ian in Northampton 14:39 16 Jun 10

Sorry, I didn't really answer your question. Yes, if you locate the file (using Windows Explorer) you're looking to link to, right click on it and select 'properties' under the 'general' tab, you should see 'location'. For the example I gave previously, this shows as \\abcdef\ian\personal. However, if you copy and paste that, you'll still need to add the file name to the end of it.

By the way: I don't believe the recipient needs to save the document in order to open it - it should just open directly.

oo7juk 15:01 16 Jun 10

Ian,

So when I create/edit hyperlink I don't select the destination document from the drop-down menu within the "Look in" field.

Do I have to type in \\ prior to my network drive letter and if I do this do I just leave the "look in" folder as "my documents" (default)?

Thanks.

Ian in Northampton 15:58 16 Jun 10

You can do that, I think. But, here's where to be careful. My network drives all have a drive letter associated with them - so, when I do 'look in' I get the address u:\ian\personal\letter. If I send that to someone, and they're not using the same drive letter for that network drive as I am, they won't find it. That's why you need to give the network drive its real name (i.e. 'abcdef' - not 'u:'). Much depends on how your individual machine is set up (and your colleague's).

And yes, the format starts with \\:

\\abcdef\ian\personal\letter.doc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant