Hyperlinks do not work

dotterel 20:57 27 Dec 03

Running Windows XP, clicking on hyperlinks - on this and other sites, produces no response at all. This my sister's machine so I am not sure how long this has been happening or what recent changes have been made. Is it worth trying a restore point?

powerless 20:58 27 Dec 03

Copy and paste this:

http: //support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Into the address bar, remove the space and click GO.

woodchip 21:37 27 Dec 03

Sounds like IE needs repairing

nyleridedog 09:13 28 Dec 03

REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL

then close ie ,then open it up again.

it will work.

dotterel 14:13 28 Dec 03

Thanks for your help. Nyleridedog - I'm not too sure what you mean when you say "close it, then open it up again". After typing in the file name, I clicked "go" and got a grey box which said "DllRegisterServer in URLMON.DLL succeeded" with an "ok" box, which I clicked. I repeated the whole process, but it has made no difference. Powerless - I went to the site as suggested and it gave me a whole set of files to try, but each time it simply asked what program to use to open them. No ideas I'm afraid! Woodchip - how do I repair IE? Thanks again to all for your help so far.

VoG II 14:18 28 Dec 03

From Powerless link

1 Quit all programs that are running.

2 Click Start, and then click Run.

3 Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll

and then click OK.

4 When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

Shdocvw.dll

Msjava.dll

Actxprxy.dll

Oleaut32.dll

Mshtml.dll

Browseui.dll

Shell32.dll

dotterel 21:58 28 Dec 03

Thanks VoG. I've tried all those but only get a box asking what program I want to use to open the files and I don't what to use or even if the files should be opened. Thanks for your help - more is still needed!

powerless 22:05 28 Dec 03

Try this little program: IEfix

http: //tinyurl.com/x1i2

Remove the space again. And scroll down the page a little bit.

VoG II 22:06 28 Dec 03

I'm not quite sure what you are doing but you should definitely not get that box asking which program you want to open the file with.

Let's try again:

Start, Run

A box should appear with a white box within it - if that doesn't happen please say so.

In the white box type in

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

then click on the OK button.

dotterel 18:37 31 Dec 03

Sorry about the slow response to your help. I'm back home now, so I can't really do much (my sister lives two hundred miles away...)but I'll try and sort this out remotely. Powerless, I'll copy your suggestion to her. VoG - typing regsvr32 urlmon.dll did bring up the response as in No 4 on your post and I clicked "ok". However I think I may have not followed instructions very well. I suspect that I did not type in "resvr32" before the other filenames like "Shell32.dll". Anyway, there is not much I can do now, but I'll have a go next time I visit up north. Thanks for your help.

woodchip 19:11 31 Dec 03

Alway's print instructions you are going to us

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…