Hynix Memory Upgrade

Mort105 11:48 08 Sep 07

Hi,

I've just given my old computer to my dad and I thought I'd upgrade the memory for the old fella.

Currently it has two hynix PC3200 512 mb memory modules and two empty memory slots. I was thinking of getting another two PC3200 512mb modules but can't find any by hynix on the internet.

I know I'll need to get PC3200 184 pin modules that run at 400mhz, but how bad would it be if I installed modules by another manufacturer alongside the hynix ones? Will it have any negative effect on performance.

Also I was considering upping the memory in my own computer from 2gb to 4gb, but I've got the 32 bit version of Windows Vista (Ult). I've read somewhere that a 32 bit operating system can't reference memory higher that 3.25 gb or there abouts.

Is there any advantage for me going over 3GB of memory when using a 32 bit operating system.

Thanks for all advice.

Mort

run the online scanner tool on both machines
click here

DJ-Garry 12:02 08 Sep 07

You don't have to have RAM from the same manufacturer, just as long as it's the same type and spec.
The scanner from the post before will tell you exactly which spec it is, then go to eBuyer or eBay, look it up, buy, and enjoy.

Good luck, Garry

DJ-Garry 12:03 08 Sep 07

btw, thats click here for eBuyer.

I would buy from crucial,ive seen too many instances of ram related problems being created, when someone has used the crucial scan and tried to match it up themselves.
Not worth the hassle in my opinion

Mort105 15:31 08 Sep 07

I'll check out the crucial site - thanks. I dont think the two 512 MB will cost much.

I got HPC Reaper memory with my new computer though so it might cost a bit more to upgrade there. Not sure if it's worthwhile or not going from 2GB to 4GB.

Mort

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac