Hybrid HDD+SSD, running W8.1, Format & return to W7

Mark_Hayward 16:40 18 Oct 13

My new i7 Samsung Laptop has a 1TB HDD and a 24 GB SSD in original factory fitting and came with W8 pre-loaded and is now running W8.1 after todays update.

Due to the unfixable errors in W8 and 8.1 and the lack of advantage over W7 on a non Touch screen device, I am seriously considering going back to the much more acceptable W7 Ultimate I had before. I have simply wasted too much time on trying to get to grips with the W8 double UI, half of which is almost useless.

Combined with the inability to run certain software, the lock-ups crashes and issues, also so much hidden ways to do the previously one-click operations, I have had enough.

Looking at my HDD set up I find the following partitions:

Simple Basic    Healthy (Recovery Partition)        
Size 500 MB     Free 500 MB     100%

Simple Basic    Healthy (EFI System Partition)      
Size 300 MB     Free 300 MB     100%

Size 349 MB     Free 349 MB     100%

Size 24.05 GB   Free 24.05 GB   100%

Size 1.00 GB    Free 1.00 GB    100%

Simple Basic    Healthy (Primary Partition)         
Size 4.50 GB    Free 4.50 GB    100%

Simple Basic    Healthy (Primary Partition)         
Size 17.74 GB   Free 17.74 GB   100%

C: Simple Basic Healthy (Boot,Page,Crash Dump,Primary)
Size 905.2 GB Free 652.25 GB 72%

Taking into account the two 4.50 GB and the 17.54 GB Primary partitions are the SSD, I find it strange that the HDD has so many other Partitions. I can understand that one recovery partition will contain the pre-loaded W8, but what are the rest for??

I am so totally fed up with W8 that I do not even want the recovery available, I am not going to ever use it on this machine, plus if I did I would then have to download W8.1 all over again and it is all such a waste of time.

I would like to know the best options please. Using my own bootable copy of W7 Ultimate disc, could I format the whole thing and return to one HDD partition C: drive for everything, or is it possible to make better use of the SSD by formatting it into one partition and putting the Windows OS onto it, then using the HDD purely for program files and storage? Appreciate any advice, but whatever happens it is Curtains for W8 as far as I am concerned.

john bunyan 18:10 18 Oct 13

Others will comment on the way to do it, but was your Windows 7 Ultimate previously installed on a PC? I believe that, if so, it cannot just be re- installed on another one. Also you will have endless updates to download. I am sure others will suggest what you want and am glad that, so far, I have stayed with W& myself!

Woolwell 19:49 18 Oct 13

I've not found any software that will run on W7 that will not run on W8. Any software that struggled with W7 is likely to have problems with W8 too. The 24Gb SSD is quite small. Is that the right size? Is it being used as a cache? I had an SSD being used as a cache and had to abandon it after a year because of serious crashes and ultimately a failure to boot.

rdave13 20:22 18 Oct 13

I would be tempted to try the restore to factory settings first in case the OS is corrupted. I've only read up a little on clean installing on a hybrid so I can't recommend a method. Some install to the SSD part and others to the mechanical drive with bios set as raid and needing chipset software, this is for intel based units.

This is the Samsung guide for restoring, click here.

Woolwell 20:25 18 Oct 13

radve13 - I don't think that it is a hybrid but an SSD being used as an Express Cache. The problem can then occur with the amount of read and write operations.

rdave13 20:39 18 Oct 13

Some reading herebut for Win 8.

Mark_Hayward 08:08 19 Oct 13

Thanks for the replies, yes the 24 GB SSD is run as an Express Cache using Condusiv Technologies software.

@ Woolwell - "I've not found any software that will run on W7 that will not run on W8."

The software for my Jabra Bluetooth Headset which I used on W7 will not run on W8 and there is no fix or update on the manufacturers website that works. Similarly the game Halo will not install either.

@rdave13 - "I would be tempted to try the restore to factory settings first in case the OS is corrupted."

The machine is brand new and W8 has been a dog from the beginning, not only for me but for 1000s of others. The OS is not corrupted, it is ** and there is no foreseeable advantage in having W8 on a non touch screen device over the more stable and usable W7.

@ John Bunyan - Others will comment on the way to do it, but was your Windows 7 Ultimate previously installed on a PC? I believe that, if so, it cannot just be re- installed on another one.""

Yes it was previously installed on another PC which is no longer using it. The copy I have is an original licensed version of W7 Ultimate and as far as I am aware, as the owner I can run it on any machine I like, so long as I observe the Single Licence ruling.

Looks like I will be better off formatting the entire HDD, removing all the W8 Recovery Partitions and then loading my W7 onto it and using the SSD as an Express Cache, so long as I can get the software. The Condusiv program was pre-installed and I have no back up disc for it. I shall seek advice from the manufacturer or find an alternative.

Woolwell 11:14 19 Oct 13

If W7 came preloaded on your previous PC then it was an OEM copy and cannot be transferred to the laptop. If however you bought a retail copy then it could be transferred. You are not the owner just a licence holder.

Which version of Halo.

Which Jabra headset and have you gone to their website and downloaded the latest software.

OS corruption is nothing to do with your active dislike but a corruption of the files which could cause some of the snags that you are experiencing.

You could have bought a W7 laptop btw.

Woolwell 11:17 19 Oct 13

I see that you did go to the Jabra site but please reply with which model.

You do not seem to know about W8 compatibility mode Microsoft

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced