Hurray for NTL

Legolas 13:50 06 May 06

I received an email from NTL yesterday telling me that my 2MB connection will be doubled to 4MB automatically from the 1st of June and no download or upload cap. Well done NTL.

At long last the potential of the Internet is being realised with these ever increasing speeds. I believe streaming television is not far away where you will choose when and what you want to view.

Stuartli 14:49 06 May 06

Excellent service.

However, many people will be upgraded "up to" 8MB if they have a BT line although, to be fair, there could be a cap imposed depending on the ISP.

Forum Editor 14:51 06 May 06

you're right - and more besides.

SG Atlantis® 14:53 06 May 06

I got an email off 'em too.

They have done away with the 75gig cap on the 10 meg service.

I'm still ditching them when I get myself sorted with reactivating the BT line in the house. Too much to do at the moment... but I am going back to BT.

SG

ACOLYTE 14:58 06 May 06

"where you will choose when and what you want to view"

I will always choose TV over streaming net content,simple reason it Will never be as reliable,and you don't get the diversity of choice as a TV offers,i agree it has potential but as it is now the best bet is TV/satellite,plus the fact that you pay for a TV licence to watch TV,and not a lot know that you still need to pay that fee to watch streaming content on the PC, if your PC has a TV decode card even if you have no other means of watching TV Chanel's,IE: if you dont have a TV in the house you still need the licence to have the card installed.

johnnyrocker 15:00 06 May 06

click here for one of the forerunners of this...

johnny.

Legolas 15:14 06 May 06

ACOLYTE I think in the future all visual entertainment will be streamed not onto your computer but onto your TV and the user will have complete control over what they watch and when they watch it. Broadband is beginning to reach the speeds necessary to make this feasable to give the user the quality and reliabilty for this to happen.

Stuartli 15:57 06 May 06

The reason why you have to have a TV licence even if you only own, for instance, a PCI or external TV card, is because the licence fee includes the right to receive television transmissions.

johnnyrocker 16:01 06 May 06

includes the right to receive television , almost right. it for having equipment capable of receiving. and my earlier link re video on demand is for watching what you want when you want as they have a replay feature of stored content which one can access exactly as a dvd pause/rew/etc

johnny.

Stuartli 16:27 06 May 06

I'm correct and so are you.

It's why, for instance, if you never watched terrestial channels but only Sky, you still have to have a TV licence.

Anything with a TV tuner is regarded as capable of receiving television transmissions, whether it's a computer TV card, a VCR or similar equipment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…