huge Config.Msi folder, OK to delete?

Kalitechnis 08:54 18 Sep 03

I am reposting this as it went by without any notice, and I want to get to the bottom of this config.msi folder. (All my searches relate this folder to MS Office).

I have been cleaning up my hard disk of folders left behind by ununstalled programs, & I've come across the "config.MSI" folder which contains nearly 4gb of data. I've checked on the net and discover that this folder is created by MS and the files are "roll-back script" files for Office 2000.
Well, this is a mystery-I have never had MS Office on my computer (or any of it's components). I can only presume that it is to do with other progs/installations.

In fact, of the 4gb of files, all but one are dated the same month and of these, 95% on the same day, within the same hour.
This leads me to recall that I reformatted my hard disk around that time (I think) (next time I'll make note of it!).
Could these files relate to a Windows installation?

Can anyone explain this, and is it allright for me to delete the files or the folder itself?

Much appreciation for any advice,

Jester2K II 09:02 18 Sep 03

Rather than start a new thread you should have just bumped this one click here by adding "bump" in a post. Then it'll go to the top of the pile...

AndySD 09:02 18 Sep 03

Rename the folder to config.old and give it a fer days...if you have no problems Delete it.

Kalitechnis 12:17 18 Sep 03

Jester2K II,

Thanks for the tip-I never read forum instructions, I'm normally too busy, or could be impatience!

Thanks for yr help..but are you sure they might not be necessary for uninstalling something or other some time in the future?
And what can they be, since I have never had any Office/Word/Excel, etc. on this computer?

I can find nowhere that talks about config.msi other than relating to MS Office!!

Jester2K II 12:20 18 Sep 03

Its all Office related as far as i can see. Why it there without Office having ever been installed i don't know!

Was it EVER on there or even stopped halfway through the install??

leo49 12:31 18 Sep 03

I found references to such a folder at MS in relation to Windows 2k and xp Installations - serving the same rollback purposes.

The probability must surely be that they are connected to your reinstall.Was it an upgrade install,by any chance?

AndySD 12:42 18 Sep 03

And Symantic...

Can you go to System Restore and see how large the folder is.

Kalitechnis 12:42 18 Sep 03

Thanks for your input, Leo and Jester.

No Office has NEVER been on this machine.

Leo , I think I saw the same MS page as you mention..are you sure it's not Office XP?

Kalitechnis 12:48 18 Sep 03

I have no Symantec software, not do I have XP (so no system restore). I'm using 98se.

But as I mentioned I did a reformat of the hard disk (via Mesh's own restore disk) around the time of all of the least I think it it was then..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…