Hub Switch Software

iqs 22:42 12 Feb 10

Hi,
Just wondering if I used a switch or a hub on my network,how do you send data to the other PC's?.
Do they show up like my networked PC's as a shared file on each?.

I'm ware that Hubs & Switches use the MAC of the NIC ,and hubs sends the data to all connected PC's regardless of the destination MAC.And a switch will only send to the destination PC.
But what software is used to send data etc etc.

Cheers

mgmcc 20:35 13 Feb 10

There is no additional software required to connect computers with a hub/switch. This is simply the hardware used to make the physical connection. As you rightly say, a "switch" is more intelligent than a "hub" in that it sends data only to the correct destination IP address.

Once the computers have their physical connection, any folders and/or printers that have been "shared" should appear in "My Network Places" ("Network" in Vista) of all computers.

All versions of Windows have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and "Client for Microsoft Networks" which manage the networking.

iqs 21:52 13 Feb 10

Once the computers have their physical connection, any folders and/or printers that have been "shared" should appear in "My Network Places" ("Network" in Vista) of all computers.

Hi mgmcc,

That was the answer I was looking for,many thanks for the help mgmcc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced