Hub or switch to split ethernet?

  Roadgiant 19:11 14 Oct 13

I wonder if someone can answer a question for me,I have a TV downstairs connected to a homeplug which in turn connects to my router located upstairs via another homeplug. What I would like to do is get another ethernet connection (in other words have 2 or more ethernet sockets available)from the downstairs home plug,would a hub or switch (not sure which?) be the answer or would the only way be to add another homeplug downstairs? Hope this make sense, many thanks in advance RG

  jaywoo 00:06 15 Oct 13

Always go for a switch rather than a hub - switches dedicate full bandwidth to each connected device and only forward data for each device via the relevant port, hubs just send everything received from anywhere out of every other port.

  Secret-Squirrel 08:20 15 Oct 13

Roadgiant, I think the neatest most elegant solution would be to replace your downstairs homeplug with one that has two or three Ethernet ports in a single unit. If you agree that sounds like a good idea then post back the make and model number of the upstairs one and I'll see what's compatible with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017