HTTP_ActivePerl_Overflow

akpak 16:47 20 Apr 04

I'm using Windows XP Home SP1 and Norton Internet Security 2003.

While navigating through a particular website, NIS sometimes warns me of what it thinks is an intrusion attempt with the signature HTTP_ActivePerl_Overflow. The alleged intrusion is actually originating in my computer and directed at the one hosting the website. The NIS response prevents me using the site properly.

An earlier thread on this forum mentioned this article on the Symantec site: click here

According to this there might be a potential security problem, but it's only Activestate ActivePerl v.5.6.1.629 and earlier that is vulnerable to this. If you have a later version, or if ActivePerl is not installed, they say it's safe to exclude this signature from NIS monitoring.

Is ActivePerl installed as part of Windows XP, and if so, how do I find out which version it is? (I've done a search on C: for ActivePerl and can't find it.)

Thanks for any help.

Gemma 20:50 20 Apr 04

ActivePerl is not part of Windows XP. However, it is possible that it is used on the server that you are browsing. The "intrusion" is not originating from you. The mechanism is an exploit of a weakness in earlier versions of ActivePerl; the site is trying it on you for whatever reason.

What is Perl? Perl (Practical Extraction and Report Language) is a programming language, originally from the Unix world, designed for text handling and now available for many platforms. It's now a very powerful language and something of a cult among its fans.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017