HTML Text Area

_plAsma 16:32 01 Sep 04

Ok, i have a text area in my web page. The ROW value is set to 10...no matter what, it shows on my page as a one line text area...Please help!

Simon_P 16:50 01 Sep 04

A link to the page please if it is online

The row value is 10 (px/cm ?)

And what software are you using?

Taran 17:54 01 Sep 04

Paste this into the page or form where you want your text area to be:

<textarea name="textarea" cols="55" rows="10"></textarea>

This will give you a 55 character wide, 10 row deep textarea on the page and the same code is OK for plain vanilla HTML or valid XHTML form fields.

Make sure when you preview the page that you refresh your browser. Sometimes the browser cache can affect slight modifications to web pages when designing.

It wouldn't be the first time I've stared hard and disapprovingly at the screen when an altered page has displayed exactly the same as its predecessor...

It might help to know the web authoring software you are using as well as the web browser.

T

Taran 17:57 01 Sep 04

I should have added that sometimes leaving an unfinished tag or not enclosing the value(s) of the textarea in quote marks can cause issues, as could one or two other things.

Try the code snippet and see where you get.

You don't have any predefined form field values set in your CSS file do you, if you are using one ?

_plAsma 18:05 01 Sep 04

Your code produces the same problem, i am use IE 6 and Dreamweaver.

I have been refreshing the page correctly so i dont know whats wrong although i am using a style sheet:

TEXTAREA {
BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 9px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; COLOR: #3b3100; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma; HEIGHT: 17px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #adaab2
}

mattswebsolutions.co.uk 18:12 01 Sep 04

You've set the height of all textareas to 17 pixels using that stylesheet. Remove the HEIGHT:17px; from the stylesheet definition and your problem should be solved.

Matt

_plAsma 18:25 01 Sep 04

ah, i got the colouring for my text boxes from a site somewhere and didnt realise that.

thanks ALOT!! :>

_plAsma

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…