HTML Help - Frames!

Binoboy 13:19 11 Aug 03

Hi,

I'm looking for some HTML help with frames. I'm doing my best to use WebExpress 2.0 to build a website but I'm having some problems putting frames into it, something I've never done before. Basically I don't know how to click on a link on the frame on the right so the main area of the screen goes to that page. I know this is to do with tags but I don't understand them all that well and I would appreciate it if someone could tell me where to put them in the HTML scripting. Thanks :)

Ben Avery 13:41 11 Aug 03

Try this - text which needs changing to suit is enclosed in 3 {{{ signs ok?:

<html>

<frameset cols="{{{INPUT COLUMN WIDTH HERE}}}" frameborder="{{{YES or NO}}}" border="{{{BORDER WIDTH}}}" framespacing="{{{FRAME SPACING - IF UNSURE LEAVE AS 0}}}" frame name="{{{PUT A NAME FOR THE MAIN FRAME HERE - USUALLY MainFrame OR SIMILAR}}}" src="{{{THIS IS THE PATH FOR THE ACTUAL HTML FRAME AND WILL LOOK SOMETHING LIKE MainFrame.html IF YOU HAVE IT IN THE MAIN WEB FOLDER}}}">

<frameset cols="{{{INPUT COLUMN WIDTH HERE}}}" frameborder="{{{YES or NO}}}" border="{{{BORDER WIDTH}}}" framespacing="{{{FRAME SPACING - IF UNSURE LEAVE AS 0}}}" frame name="{{{PUT A NAME FOR THE RIGHT FRAME HERE - USUALLY RightFrame OR SIMILAR}}}" scrolling="{{{DO YOU WANT IT TO BE SCROLLABLE YES OR NO}}}" noresize {{{THIS FUNCTION STOPS THE WIDTH BEING CHANGED BY VIEWERS}}} src="{{{FRAME SOURCE E.G. Navigation_Bar.html OR RightFrame.html}}}">
</frameset>

I'm sure any mistakes I have made will be picked up on and advised accordingly!

BA

Binoboy 14:04 11 Aug 03

Cheers that's great, I'll just give it a go

Binoboy 14:20 11 Aug 03

One last thing, how do you code a link in the NavBar so that it's the mainframe the new page appears in?

Ben Avery 14:41 11 Aug 03

When you type you HREF code in, include the following:

target="_main"

The whole link should look something like this (this would be the link to a page called "Links_frameset.html" and the Hyperlink would display as "Links"):

<a href="Links_framset.html" target="_main">Links<a>

BA

Ben Avery 14:42 11 Aug 03

Sorry that should read

target="MainFrame" where MainFrame is the name of the left hand frame on your page.

Ba

Ben Avery 14:44 11 Aug 03

Sorry, I'm having a blonde day!

target="_MainFrame"

;o)

BA

Ben Avery 15:11 11 Aug 03

Type this and try it:

<html>

<title>Web Page</title>

<frameset cols="*,100" frameborder="YES" border="3" framespacing="0">

<frame name="mainFrame" noresize src="MainFrame.html">

<frame name="rightFrame" scrolling="NO" src="NavBar.html">

</frameset>

</html>

The cols="*,100" tells the browser that the right hand column (NavBar) will be exactly 100 pixels wide, and that the left hand column (mainFrame) will be 100% of whats left. This is a good way to ensure your main page will be viewed ok in both 800x600 & 1024x768 resolutions.

You then need to create 2 HTML pages, 1 called MainFrame.html, which will house you main text etc, & 1 called NavBar.html which will contain your links.

Your NavBar will look something like this:

<html>

<title>Navigation Bar</title>

<a href="index.html" target="_parent">Home</a>

<p>

<a href="links.html" target="mainFrame">Links</a>

</html>

After naming your homepage as index.html you will notice that the index.html contains the whole frameset (mainFrame & NavBar). For this reason, you must use the <target="_parent"> otherwise the navigation bar will reappear in you main frame too.

Does this make any sense?

Ignore my 1st response, I think it has a few errors!

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…