HTML escape characters

jtt 10:34 14 Sep 08

In the "old days" of web design when you used HTML, you were supposed to escape accented characters (eg replace é with é)

I've noticed that Front Page 2003 does do this. Is it no longer necessary, or have I not set Front Page up correctly? I've just started to use Front Page so I may have messed up.

Kemistri 18:48 14 Sep 08

I suppose you must be referring to character entities.

If you use the most appropriate encoding standard for the language with which you are working, you should only need to use entities for symbols (and not necessarily all of them at that). The most useful (and the most widely supported) encodings are the ISO 8859 series and UTF-8. If you use UTF-8 (which I and many other coders do) it is good practice to avoid including the BOM (byte order mark) while it is still not universally recognised. As legacy browsers and platforms die out, such issues go away. As always, test thoroughly across as many common platforms as possible: any problematic characters will become obvious.

Kemistri 18:50 14 Sep 08

And here's an XHTML entity reference for those times when you do need to substitute an accented letter or symbol for its NCR: click here

jtt 20:12 14 Sep 08

Thanks for the information Kemistri. It is for a French website.

I missed an important word out in my original message. I should have said "I've noticed that Front Page 2003 does NOT do this."

It appears to replace ", &, < and >, but no other characters like £ and e with an acute accent.

I'm not sure how I tell Frontpage 2003 to use the right encoding standard, but I'll look around a bit more.

Kemistri 21:12 14 Sep 08

I would ensure that you use UTF-8, in that case, simply because 8859-1 does not quite have 100% coverage of French characters (though the common one in your example is covered).

As a die-hard coder, I don't have experience of FP, but I'm sure that you could edit its output in some kind of "code view" so that you can insert the NCRs where needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017