HTML and Carriage Returns

Charlie Babbage 23:52 19 Jun 05

I have noticed (although not used in depth) that in Dreamweaver and some other WYSWIG Web Page Design apps that when you are entering text and then press carriage return (CR) once, the insert cursor actually moves down two lines unlike in Word where it moves down one line. This also occurs in OE v.6

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this standard? I prefer the Word method! If I want two CRs, it is not exactly onerous to press the CR key twice!! If there is some tweak in the app that needs adjusting to make CR operate the same as in Word?

harristweed 09:30 20 Jun 05

When you press the return key in Dreamweaver it does NOT put in a paragraph mark as in MS Word. It inserts < p > Tags into the HTML code that is is creating. This gives the effect you can see on the screen of double spacing, which is how the code will display in a browser. (WYSIWYG)

If you hold the shift key and press enter (or return) dreamweaver inserst a break. < b r >. A line break. (as in word, a manual line break), and is probably the effect you are looking for.

Remember that MS word is a word processor and Dreamweaver creates HTML.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…