HTC Desire - unable to receive emails via certain wi fi

Cara2 19:02 PM 26 Apr 13

HTC Desire on Tesco Mobile Network, not on internet but using wi fi.

Am able to send and receive email at home (Orange ISP), but can only receive emails but NOT send from work (BT connect) although settings indicate a connection to my work wi fi.

Any advice please?

Woolwell 19:18 PM 26 Apr 13

The smtp settings need to be changed for work.

Cara2 22:24 PM 26 Apr 13

Very basic question in response to your answer - do you mean the settings on the phone or the PC?

I am assuming you mean the PC, because the phone succeeds in sending emails from the home PC.

Thanks for your reply.

Woolwell 22:49 PM 26 Apr 13

No - on the phone. You will have at home smtp for Orange and you will need to change this to BT for work.

Cara2 02:25 AM 27 Apr 13

As it works perfectly at home (sends and receives emails), are you saying it needs one setting for home (orange) and one for work (BT) for the same email address?

Sorry if I am being a bit woolly on this issue.

Incidentally, the subject title is incorrect. It should have read '...unable to SEND email'. This prob wont affect the solution though.

mgmcc 07:01 AM 27 Apr 13

The general "rule of thumb" is that you must always use the SMTP server of the ISP that you're connect to the internet with. This is how ISP's restrict the use of their SMTP server to their own customers, to minimise its use for sending spam.

Therefore, at home you use the Orange SMTP server, but you cannot use it when connected via BT at work and must use BT's server.

Cara2 10:11 AM 27 Apr 13

Aah. But doesn't that make it difficult to send emails on the go - from Internet cafes, hotspots etc - with a mobile phone or other device. You are saying, without settings, you can only receive emails?

Cara2 10:11 AM 27 Apr 13

Aah. But doesn't that make it difficult to send emails on the go - from Internet cafes, hotspots etc - with a mobile phone or other device. You are saying, without settings, you can only receive emails?

Woolwell 10:18 AM 27 Apr 13

Yes it can make it difficult to send from hotspots but in many cases the normal home smtp will work. I've had this problem in hotels.

Woolwell 11:16 AM 27 Apr 13

I find it useful to use webmail when away from home but this can be awkward with the small screen size of a phone.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Google's new logo was redesigned

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites