HSFMODEM

trefor 12:32 06 Mar 08

I have an Evesham (original) computer still running ME! After several "windows protection" errors I re-installed Windows (not a full format and restore though). I manged to reinstall most of my applications but eventually my CD and DVD drives stopped working. I think I was configuring Sound Blaster with an audio CD at the time. If I insert a CD now the screen goes black and I have to reboot - the CD and DVD drives still won't work. In Device Manager there is an yellow exclamation mark on SUP2850 PCI Modem Enumerator under HSFMODEM. There is a "resource conflict -code 15".
If I were to remove the dial-up PCI card , which I do not need now would this solve the problem?
What is HSFMODEM any way? Can it be physically removed?
Thanks in anticipation.

crosstrainer 12:34 06 Mar 08

Good grief! Thats an old high speed flex modem. They were notorious for irq conflicts which is what you have here.

Open device manager and uninstall the modem.

Shut down the computer

Open the case and remove the antique!

Re-boot

trefor 17:11 06 Mar 08

Thanks crosstrainer. Everything seems OK now. I thought that would be the case but didn't understand the difference between hsfmodem andn the dial up modem which appears under another tab(bit of an antique myself!)

crosstrainer 17:21 06 Mar 08

That is the old modem, any entries relating to that can also be removed.

Download and run:

click here

It's free and after you have removed any entries in device manager run it and it will remove old entries in your registry...If you are unsure about what to remove, always choose to backup prior to cleaning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…