HP thumbpad strange problem.

rdave13 16:30 06 Dec 13
Answered

We have a HP Pavillion g6-2244sa laptop. It's working well with Win 8.1 installed.

Every so often the thumbpad gets over sensitive (for want of a better word) so that it gets difficult to control the cursor.

Rebooting cures it. The thing that puzzles me is that when this happens I can control the mouse curser by just hovering my finger about a centimeter above the surface of the pad! Does anyone have a suggestion why this happens? The sensitivity settings are unchanged. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:56 06 Dec 13
Answer

are you sitting in a chair covered with man made fibres wearing a nylon jumper?

At a guess you my be charging up with static and affecting the laptop a reboot will discharge the static until it builds up again.

rdave13 18:13 06 Dec 13

*Fruit Bat /\0/* , I'm tempted to say that I'm swinging from a chandelier, wearing rubber, holding the laptop in one hand..... but I won't...lol. (Those were the days).

On a serious note, the laptop sits on one of these glass top stands, the foot of which goes neatly under the sofa, so laptop closer for the user. My partner uses this machine and is very prone to static. It's an unusual occurrence but has happened twice in the last year. The power brick is far enough away from the laptop and I've not noticed if it occurs on battery as well as brick. I'll take note next time.

So you think it's a build up of static?

Fascinating to see it work just hovering above the pad.

Thanks for your reply.

rdave13 20:36 12 Dec 13

It's just happened again tonight. Power plugged in but battery full. Removed the brick but still the same. Rebooted and will be ok for some time usually. Anyone think that it could be the battery 'overcharging' a bit? Clutching at straws I know.

rdave13 17:34 19 Dec 13

Still ok up to now. Anyone any idea? I've done the usual search but not got a satisfactory result. Apparently "touchfreeze" software stops the cursor from 'jumping' but that is not really the issue. Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's suggestion of 'static' is the real culprit I think but can't see how it builds up. Laptop is on a glass top, steel/chrome plated leg, glass base, stand.

rdave13 23:59 11 Jan 14

Not happened in a while so will green tick to tidy up 'my postings'.

rdave13 20:18 31 Jan 14

*Fruit Bat /\0/* , happened again just now. Situation, battery on charge but full. Windows phone resting on laptop on left of touch pad. Windows phone removed and power brick still connected. Can 'levitate' mouse cursor left and right but not up and down. Charger disconnected and pointer better to use but still not ok. Rebooted and all ok. So I think the culprit is having two wireless machines in close proximity and the static from trickle feed, feeding the battery, creates an electrical charge that creates this problem. So you were right, it is static, but also to do with radio signals. Interesting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…