That HP scroll has just caused me to leave

keith-236785 09:35 29 Dec 07

I wish the forum admin would remove the scrolling HP banner,

it has probably been said before but i cant be bothered staying on here any more when that banner appears every other thread i read,

things like this cause loss of members, i wont be back on for a while, christmas is a time when many people get new bits of kit and run into major problems, we dont need these IN YOUR FACE ADVERTS.

when a banner interferes with the usability of a site then i wont bother with it.

goodbye all, i will try again in a couple of weeks and hopefully it will be clear of that banner.

regards to all those who work with it,

and a happy new year to everyone

MAJ 09:55 29 Dec 07

Oh for pity's sake, install a HOSTS file and quit moaning.

alB 10:02 29 Dec 07

I still haven't seen it :-(( ...alB

Technotiger 10:10 29 Dec 07

I entirely agree with paperman27 - I do not normally complain about the ads on PCA, I am well aware that they 'pay' for our pleasure on the site, however that particular ad is most definitely the most Intrusive ad I have ever seen on any site - I Hate it and do wish FE could get rid of it, or at least modify it to be far less Intrusive. I also don't believe in and never use Ad Blockers. So MAJ, for this one particular Ad I WILL moan and hope that something is done about it - the sooner the better.

I am too addicted to this site, but even so, I have been thinking along the same lines as paperman27, though having said that, I will be staying and putting up with the Ad - though I do curse it every time!!

HNY.

johnnyrocker 10:17 29 Dec 07

much the same as me but i am not having much luck carrying out the supposed solution.
click here

johnny.

namtas 10:19 29 Dec 07

MAJ doesn't setting up a HOSTS file attempt to prevent pop up adverts by catching all, and if every user did this wouldn't this then completely defeat the reason for having any advertisements which is surely not the way to go when we a consistently informed that site has to be self funding.

Fingees 10:28 29 Dec 07

I use firefox browser with an ad blocker.

click here

This may help

rdave13 10:28 29 Dec 07

Ok. Have never seen the ad. ISP is AOL but established it has nothing to do with that. Don't have any ad blocker programs just the usual pop-up blocker on the browser. What settings do I have that's different? Is the ad on this page and where? Under the PCAdvisor heading is blank where usually an ad is.

MAJ 10:39 29 Dec 07

"MAJ doesn't setting up a HOSTS file attempt to prevent pop up adverts by catching all, and if every user did this wouldn't this then completely defeat the reason for having any advertisements which is surely not the way to go when we a consistently informed that site has to be self funding."

It can do, but you can configure a HOSTS file to only block the ads and sites you don't want to see. I can't see the ad (I can on my laptop) on my PC, so I'm not sure from where it comes, but find out and stick that address in the HOSTS file.
Something like:

127.0.0.1 www. address of HP banner ad

Technotiger 10:42 29 Dec 07

My son makes a very good living totally provided by Ad revenue on his free on-line magazine, (which is why I am not against Ads on-line) but not one of his Ads has ever been complained about - if he can do it, why not PCA!

click here believe it or not, all produced on his home computer - Apple Mac!

If you are ever in Lanzarote, look him up.

Technotiger 10:45 29 Dec 07

Ooops silly me - that Ad must be getting at me, should have been click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…