HP Scanning Issue

gippingman 21:52 PM 30 Jan 13

I have a HP Photosmart 5510 all in one printer scanner copier and my Pc is running Windows 8. The 5510 has built in scanning software but only scans documents as PDF's. I wish to scan documents to Word. I have MS Office 2003 which has built in Office Document Scanning. When I try to scan a document using this, the box comes up to scan a new document, says choose scanner, then my 5510 comes up in the scanner list as 5510 twain or 5510 usb. However, if I select either and press ok, nothing happens - no error or follow on boxes and no scanning action from the 5510. Does this mean it is a driver issue (I believe I am using latest drivers though), a windows 8 issue or Office 2003 not being compatible on the scanning side of things - other applications within Office 2003 work ok. Advice appreciated

morddwyd 10:51 AM 31 Jan 13

HP are notoriously flaky when scanning.

Are you trying to scan wirelessly?

I no longer use HP (because of scanning difficulties!) but always found, on the few occasions when it worked, that an ethernet (not usb) connection was needed.

northumbria61 11:19 AM 31 Jan 13

If you do a Scan Preview prior to scanning you should get a New Scan box coming up which should allow you to change the File Type - ie. from PDF to JPEG etc. or even do that after scanning complete - here is an example from Epson but it's the same/similar for my Canon (standalone) scanner. enter link description here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Jean Jullien, Supermundane and more design badges for Farmdrop's 'local food revolution'

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know