Hp Scanner output resolution

awest3 18:17 24 Nov 09

Background: I recently bought an HP6830 wifi printer for use in a different room to where my PC is situated. I downloaded the software onto my existing PC (dell insipron 520s) as well as a dell dimension 5000 (the intended principal user of the printer). This meant I could use either printer.
Issue: The downloaded software (HP solution 12) updated the scanner software on both PC's.
I now find that I cannot save a scanned photo at the resolution indicated by the a scanned picture. If I scan a picture and it says its a 3.4 meg file when I save it it becomes 981kb, thereby losing resolution. I've tried it with Picasa, Word, excel, powerpoint and Irfanview with the same result. From this I presume its something to do with the new scanner software (I was able to save full files with the previous version).

Anyone got any ideas on a solution..I've been through all the scan menus and help files and can't find any mention of it.

Al

woodchip 23:04 24 Nov 09

Sounds like it compressing the file Open the file photo then see how big the picture is. Are they being saved as jpeg?

awest3 08:46 25 Nov 09

yes being saved as Jpeg. I thought there must be some compression factor in the scanner softwrae but can't find any..when I open the file it shows as 981kb rather than the 3.4meg indicated during the scan..

woodchip 15:08 25 Nov 09

Jpeg is a Compressed File Format

awest3 16:31 25 Nov 09

yes I understand that...been doing photos for quite a few years now....my point is that prior to the new software I could save it in Jpeg format at the size shown by the scanner....this now appears not to happen...I think I will have to re-install the old software and use that..

Thanks for your comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now