HP Recovery(D)

mitsme 05:10 21 Jun 07

HP_Recovery(D)
File System: NTFS
Free Space: 32.1 MB
Total Size 6.68 GB

Why so little free sapce? And why running on recovery?
This is only 3 months old.

Local Disk (C)
File System: NTFS
Free Space: 51.5 GB
Total Size 67.8 GB

What has happened here?. Win XP Pro SP2 with all up to date patches..!

Any ideas about putting this right greatly appreciated.

TIA
Mitsme

wiz-king 05:25 21 Jun 07

Recovery partitions only hold the programs and OS installed from new and enough free space for them to work. They are the equivalent of a Windows CD. My HP recovery is only 3.5GB

If you want a backup you will have to create another partition or use an external device.

Graham. 07:48 21 Jun 07

Don't confuse the Recovery partition with System Restore. The space used by the latter is on (C), and you can alter it. The default is 12%.

Mac70 11:45 21 Jun 07

And dont forget, HP provide a utility to create a one time Recovery DVD and CD. It's in All Programs and should be under PC Help & Tools.
So many people dont do this then have trouble when they cant access the Recovery Partition.

mitsme 19:03 21 Jun 07

I have made recovery disks. I just don't know why the space is so low on the D partition. I have noticed that when I turn it on it gives "emergency recovery (countdown)123" & then Windows starts normally. Am I running from D? Why is it running out of space?

Mac70 19:19 21 Jun 07

It does sound like you are running on the D partition, which could be something to do with the MBR.
I have a Compaq(HP) and again the D is 3.5gb.
Do you get an option screen at start up?

mitsme 20:10 21 Jun 07

No just the Emergency recovery message, windows then loads normally after I put in password. It runs fine overall, no other error messgages. I am showing my ignorance here, what's MBR?

mitsme 20:11 21 Jun 07

This is also a Compaq HP AMD Turion 64x2 laptop

skidzy 20:18 21 Jun 07

MBR = Master Boot Record

Mac70 21:24 21 Jun 07

If you go to Start>Run then type in msconfig and press OK, then click on the BOOT.ini tab. You will see a box with some text at the top.
Could you write down whats there so someone can look at it?
But, please, dont touch it!

Mac70 21:30 21 Jun 07

Have a look here too.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…