HP Recovery Tools CD

s_whitie 12:30 20 Dec 08

I have had various problems with my pc so I decided to use the HP recovery process to reset the system. It seemed to go ok and then it needed to reboot. Now I am getting the following error:

NTLDR is compressed
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

When ever I try to restart it just keeps coming back to this message

I have found the following online which should work but I need a HP Recovery Tools CD (my computer would not let me create them when I tried the other day). Does anyone know how I can get round this?? Thanks

s_whitie 12:31 20 Dec 08
  MAJ 13:00 20 Dec 08

The link you posted tells you how to do it without the Recovery Tools CD using the recovery partition, s_whitie. My Recovery partition is called "PRESARIO_RP". Alternatively, if you need to access the Revovery Console download it click here (it's an ISO file) and use your burning software to burn it to a CD. As it's an image file use the Burn Image option in your burning software, don't just burn as data. If you don't have any burning software available, use ImgBurn click here mirror 7 seems to be working Okay. When you have it burned to disk, start your PC with it inserted, then follow the instructions given above the link you posted. click here

s_whitie 13:34 20 Dec 08

Maj, I cannot access the recovery partition via pressing F10 so assumed the only option I have is to create/order the recovery tools cd.

What is the ISO file?? When I burn that and put it in my pc will it allow me access to the recovery partition??

Sorry if I seem a bit dumb but I am when it comes to this sort of thing.....

MAJ 14:27 20 Dec 08

The ISO file is Windows Recovery Console, s_whitie, nothing to do with HP/Compaq but those instructions (not the "alternate steps" at your link) ask you to access the Windows Recovery Console which must be on the HP/Compaq Recovery Tools CD that you don't have. If you burn that rc.iso file to CD using the instructions I gave and restart your computer (pressing any key to boot from CD

MAJ 14:32 20 Dec 08

The ISO file is Windows Recovery Console, s_whitie, nothing to do with HP/Compaq, but those instructions (not the "alternate steps" at your link) ask you to access the Windows Recovery Console which must be on the HP/Compaq Recovery Tools CD that you don't have. If you burn that rc.iso file to CD using the instructions I gave and restart your computer (pressing any key to boot from CD when asked) you will have access to the Windows Recovery Console. You should then be able to follow the other instructions from the HP/Compaq website's link. I'll post it again for clarity click here If you can't, as you say, use f10 to access the recovery partition, then do not follow the "Alternate Steps", follow the first part of that link.

MAJ 14:46 20 Dec 08

... after the Recovery Console has loaded:

Press R to repair the Windows XP installation using Recovery Console.
Enter the appropriate number for the WINDOWS installation, for example, the WINDOWS installation could be listed as 3: C:\WINDOWS or 3: D:\WINDOWS .
If prompted, enter your Administrator password and press Enter . If there is no password, just press Enter .
At the prompt, if the WINDOWS installation you selected in Step 4 was C:\WINDOWS, type:
cd c:\
Or, if the WINDOWS installation you selected in Step 4 was D:\WINDOWS, type:
cd d:\
At the prompt, type:
attrib -c ntldr
and then press Enter .
At the prompt, type: exit
Press the Enter key and immediately remove all discs or diskettes from the computer to allow the computer to restart.
The error message should be resolved.

s_whitie 15:13 17 Jan 09

Thanks for you help, this worked perfectly.

s_whitie 14:04 18 Jan 09

I am now back up and running but the problem I now have is that all my old files are still there. How do I go about getting the pc back to when I bought it.

Would I be able to format the C drive and then reinstall (as before) from the recovery console (D drive)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac