HP Power supplies

Craig-289433 11:16 04 Sep 03

Does anybody know where to get a power supply for a Hewlett Packard PC, it is an ATX power supply but is more compact than modern power supplies.

The one that we have keeps blowing its fuse, so am trying to find either a second hand one or replacement as this is the only thing wrong with it.

Craig-289433 20:05 04 Sep 03

It was a delta power supply with dimensions 100x85x150mm.

Newuser38 20:37 04 Sep 03

I got a replacement from click here they are not cheap. That one also went so I eventually modified the HP case very slightly and am now using a 'standard' 300w. The HP ones are underpowered, my first one was 185, next 200.

Get the full details from your present ones label. If I remember correctly there is a search facility on Bits and PC's website.

Ask for more help if need. I should have said that my old machine is a Pavilion 8685.

Craig-289433 10:17 05 Sep 03

I am not sure which HP model the computer is as the computer is my brothers that he blew the power supply on. We have tested it with one of my old power supplies and it works fine, but of course it is to big to fit into the case.

How exactly did you mod the case to fit in a normal PSU.

Newuser38 21:39 05 Sep 03

The standard psu fits with a mm or 2 to spare without touching the sound card, but I had to bend the back panel below the space where the power socket of the psu fits to give space for the psu switch. I used pliers to do this very gently, and the screws then go in as normal to hold the psu in place.. It is a very close fit, and probably depends on the type of HP. I think the cases and the layouts vary between models.

I checked the Bits&PCs website and it seems it would cost almost £100 to replace the psu now.

Hope that is some help. If I had not got the psu to fit I was going to re-case the whole thing.

Craig-289433 22:18 05 Sep 03

It is the Pavillion 8540, like you say it would cost nearly £100 to replace. Was thinking about re-casing the machine, but you would need to use an older type case I think.

Newuser38 11:22 07 Sep 03

I originally decided to re-case, and had a discussion with my friendly techie at PCW. I bought a case which included psu from them. Howerver having worked out thata re-case should be possible I thought I would check out the psu. Took it out of the new case fitted it into the HP and adjusted as described. Case and psu 300w cost £37.
As a result I ended up with a shiny new case which my wife took a fancy to and I have now built her a new pc for about £200 but I had to buy a new psu for the new case!!! and a new os. Hope you sort something out.

A thought why not go to PCW and ask if you can measure their psus I think they do one for about £25. You can then decide what to do.

Best of luck.

Newuser38 20:37 18 Sep 03

Sorted or given up?? Time for a green tick??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…