Hp photosmart C5180 help

Bike-it 22:56 20 Jun 07

I have just installed the above printer, scanner copier, but an icon appears in the system tray called, Digital imaging monitor,while this icon appears am i right to think that this is running in the back ground,
you can shut the Digital imaging monitor down if you right click on the icon in the system tray but how can i prevent this from starting in the first place, i have read the help section on the software that came with the printer but cannot find any info on this.
What does this Digital imaging monitor need to run whenever the computer boots up.

Totally-braindead 23:06 20 Jun 07

It probably doesn't, my digital camera software when installed adds lot of files to the startup as does my Epson all in one. If I want to use them I click on them under program files I do not like having loads of programs running in the background as its not neccessary and slows things up.
Goto START. RUN and type MSCONFIG the last label has startup programs, find the ones for you printer and unclick the boxes and then restart the PC. If problems do appear, and they shouldn't you can always click them again by the same method. Only unclick the printer software as some of the other files are needed for windows to actually run.

laurie53 09:53 21 Jun 07

This is no good to you now (HP software is the very devil to get rid of) but for future reference, and for anybody else, always use the "Custom Install" option with HP installations, and pick exactly what you want, otherwise you end up with all sorts of resource sapping rubbish.

Laurie

Whaty 11:54 21 Jun 07

Bike-it, I have the same printer but don't think I have this icon in my system tray? I'll check when I get home tonight and post back.

Can I ask, how is the printer connected, USB or Ethernet Cable?

Have to agree with laurie53, at least in the case of this printer, the standard installation does put a LOT of software on your PC....

Terry

^wave^ 15:19 21 Jun 07

i have a 8250 and i have the icon in my tray too it just sits there and doesnt seem to cause a problem.

Bike-it 17:49 21 Jun 07

Whaty it is connected via usb,

Wave i know it just sits there in the system tray but i believe if the icon is in the tray the programme is always running in the back ground.

Laurie 53 could i remove all the software for the printer and reinstall it but this time choose custom install, if this is possible what parts of the custom install do i need ?.

laurie53 18:39 21 Jun 07

My problems were with a C6180 but I think the software will be similar.

HP software locks itself into your PC and, I repeat, is the very devil to get rid of.

I tried all sorts of ways to remove the software and re-install, in fact there may be some threads about it.

In the end I had to format my hard disc and re-install Windows.

HP Tech Support are useless.

Laurie

laurie53 18:39 21 Jun 07

My problems were with a C6180 but I think the software will be similar.

HP software locks itself into your PC and, I repeat, is the very devil to get rid of.

I tried all sorts of ways to remove the software and re-install, in fact there may be some threads about it.

In the end I had to format my hard disc and re-install Windows.

HP Tech Support are useless.

Laurie

Whaty 20:23 21 Jun 07

Evening Bike-it. The icon doesn't appear in my system tray, however...

I'm sorry to say that I can't be 100% sure about this but I think it WAS there and I removed it?

From memory I first removed it from the start up folder and then I disabled 'HPWuSchd2.exe' through msconfig. Because the icon isn't there and because I don't remember properly I can't say for certain that 'HPWuSchd2.exe' was connected to the icon...

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…